Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I want to build an awesome vivarium and I have been lurking here and reading posts on the topic. However I am not really very handy. It seems that this impediment is mostly a concern when it comes to building a water feature. All of the material I have seen about building waterfalls and streams is way above me. My requests are: 1) Could someone explain to me step by easy step how to build a nice looking waterfeature (especially a waterfall)? or 2) Could someone give me ideas for how to attractively add an attractive waterfeature without going through the traumas of construction (that is more than simply adding a water dish to the vivarium)?

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

·
Registered
696 Posts
How big is your tank? What are you planning to have as a bottom in your viv? False bottom or Leca? What is your background going to be? If you make the background out of Great Stuff it's easy to incorporate a water feature. I'll try to help you.

Mike

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Dave (AudioTaylor) and I have both made pretty extensive waterfalls using lace rock, concrete, great stuff, and silicone. However they did involve lots of construction, so I don't think that's what you are looking for. If you want the water fall to be fairly simple, i think having a pump run water over a piece of drift wood, or off a portruding rock would be fairly easy, and could be made at the same time as the tank background. I can definitely help once you answer some of mike's questions.

Luke

G

·
Reguarding the waterfall or addition of a water feature is probably the hardest or th easiest thing about vivs. The eaisest set up I have seen was when I went to the MDG meeting that Quality Captives held at there place in Ohio. Then there are set ups like what Adio Taylor did that are more extreme to make.

The easy way, can be done with any type of bottom. You take a habbi scape cliff drill a hole and place your tubbing then sillcone to the wall. Their is no need to hide tubbing going up the waal you can just use the clear tubbing. put your water area under this and connect a pump and your done.

Mike P.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dunner97074 said:
How big is your tank? What are you planning to have as a bottom in your viv? False bottom or Leca? What is your background going to be? If you make the background out of Great Stuff it's easy to incorporate a water feature. I'll try to help you.

Mike
Thank you. I am thinking of building a 20 high. I haven't decided yet whether or not to put in a false bottom or just use expanded clay pellets yet. Which do you suggest? Also, I'm not really sure how to use Great Stuff so if your suggestion is to use that then I am going to need further instruction. Thank you, I greatly appreciate your offer of help.

G

·
I went and read Patrick's setting up vivariums page on his website.I used the margerine dish that I drilled or cut holes in the sides and used screening over the holes.I then drilled out the top so the tubing and the eletric cord would come through.
I have the pump inside the margerine cup and have the tubing set up so the water will run down a peice of cypress and it works fine.It has been setup for just about 2 years and no problems at all except that the java moss and overgrown the cypress so the water is running off the edge.
The pump and container buried in my substrate that consists of leca but the top is under a few rocks so if need be I have access to it
Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts