Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be getting a 33gal tank, and creating a PDF vivarium (duh.)
I want to have a waterfall, but I also like the idea of a stream. I was planning on having the waterfall fall into about 2 inches of water, about a 6-8 inch drop. If I wanted to have a stream, do you think that it would better to buy a second pump (more circulation) and create a stream, or have the waterfall turn into a stream with just one pump, and carefully funneling the water where I want it to go?
I don't know if this will make a difference, but I am probably going to get a pair of d. tinctorius.
Also, pictures are always greatly appreciated :D .
Thanks for any comments and suggestions.
-Beeswaxx

·
Registered
696 Posts
You shouldn't need an additional pump if you plan the water fall right. The easiest way to explain it would be: Pump the water to a small retaining pond at the top of the waterfall the spill over creates the waterfall. You'll have another small pond at the base of the falls that will spill over into the stream. Things to consider, 1. The retaining pond at the top of the falls needs to be more like a tub so all the water pumped in goes over the falls rather than dissipate through the stones. 2. the base and the stream need to relatively water tight too to ensure water flow. As the water flows you will lose some water so you want to minimize this. The end of the stream you could have another pond or just discontinue the stream ending in a porous stream base. Let me know if this makes sense.

Mike

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does, good idea.
For the retaining pond at the top, could I use the great stuff (using this for my background) with silicon sealant in a hollowed out section?
Thanks
-Beeswaxx

G

·
"1.0.0 green anole 2.1.0 cats"

LOL

try to minimize the amount of water that splashs out of the fall when it spills over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.