Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put the pump from an exo terra medium waterfall int my hydroballs layer but my hydroballsare only an inch high...not even covering the top of the pump. will the pump still get enough water or must i take out everything and redo it differently?
if u read this please reply...any answer is better than none.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Does it pump the water that you have in there now? How far under water is the intake? Sound like you'll need to watch it very closely if you decide to keep it the way it is. With evaporation you have very little play room and it could easily run dry. My vote would be to make the water area a little deeper if it's not too late.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have found the hydroballs do not allow for fast enough drainage to the pump if you have the pump going at any decent rate other than a slow trickle. I think you would need to increase the depth so you could have a little more water and not flood your substrate which will cause more issues further down the road.

·
Registered
224 Posts
the pump in the exoterra waterfalls are usually reptile 200s so the intake is at the base of the pump but it does not pump well in hydroballs maybe put it in a plastic container in the corner so it is sitting in open water.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Or just use three or four inches of pea gravel and bury the pump wrapped in fiberglass screen. Works great...every tiime. It works so well, in fact, that I am amazed folks are still building false bottoms. I guess there are some applications where one might need one, i.e. you are determined to use something other than sphagnum as substrate...but most of the time, it is just a lot of work for very little gain.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Or just use three or four inches of pea gravel and bury the pump wrapped in fiberglass screen. Works great...every tiime. It works so well, in fact, that I am amazed folks are still building false bottoms. I guess there are some applications where one might need one, i.e. you are determined to use something other than sphagnum as substrate...but most of the time, it is just a lot of work for very little gain.
With a false bottom there is less chance of saturated substrate, the tank doesnt weight 1000lb's, its easier to drain, there is NOTHING to clog your pump.

·
Registered
310 Posts
With a false bottom there is less chance of saturated substrate, the tank doesnt weight 1000lb's, its easier to drain, there is NOTHING to clog your pump.
Yeah...it is a personal preference, and that's cool. I have seen some amazing false bottom tanks. But as to the "little gain" I spoke of, I respectfully offer these points:

1. Saturated substrate - as long as you use enough gravel, the water table is always below the sphagnum moss, so it stays moist, never saturated.

2. Weight - This is always listed by people as a concern, but how often do we really need to move our tanks? If you do, then yeah, definately a concern.

3. Drain? Why would you ever need to drain it? As long as you keep a proper level of nitrifying bacteria, springtails, isopods, etc...and you don't overstock your tank with frogs, you'll never need to drain it. My tank is pushing four years old and smells awesome, I add water, that's it. Ammonia and nitrites are zero. Nitrates are remedied by the plants.

4. My pump has clogged once in four years, and it was a long time ago. In the time it takes to design and build a false bottom, I could unclog my pump twenty times...but it never clogs.

All I'm saying is that if someone doesn't want to go to all the trouble of building a FB, there really is no need to. The nitrifying capabilities of a thick gravel bed fed with oxygenated water keep a tank very healthy.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
you drain your tank because your water level gets too high. I have had this happen on one of my tanks and my tanks need much less misting than a frog tank.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks from everyone. i would have had to redo my viv at that point so i just carried on. it turned out to work for about three minutes and then just died. :mad:

·
Registered
310 Posts
you drain your tank because your water level gets too high. I have had this happen on one of my tanks and my tanks need much less misting than a frog tank.
The original subject was waterfalls. Waterfalls create evaporation. I mist my tank a couple times a week, and have to add (roughly) a gallon of water every month to my tank. My water level lowers with time...it does not rise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts