Dendroboard banner

What type of water do you use for your tanks?

• Local water

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reverse Osmosis

• Spring

• Distilled

• Rain

• other - please explain below

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
13,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this topic has been talked about 100 times, but I think my local store has changed or reduced the filtering on there spring water and raised the price at the same time. I used to get it for $.56 a gallon and it never left marks on the glass or palnts. Now it is $.70 and it is leaving marks all over.

I gusess I will turn this into a poll also. I am thinking of switching to local water that would get filtered and then left out and open over night.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
For misting - spring water. For eggs and tads - aged tap water.

Donn

·
Registered
533 Posts
I just declorinate tap water. I guess I really need to change that. I never had had a problem with my eggs or tads though. I do however get deposits on the glass.

G

·
local

I use local tap water which has been ran through a PUR faucet filter and treated with AquaSafe for safety measures. I use this water for all of my needs such as misting and offspring husbandry. I have had no problems at all with this method in the 2 years I've employed it.

-Bill J.

·
Administrator
13,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: local

Can you just get aquasafe at a petstore?

BillJohnson said:
I use local tap water which has been ran through a PUR faucet filter and treated with AquaSafe for safety measures. I use this water for all of my needs such as misting and offspring husbandry. I have had no problems at all with this method in the 2 years I've employed it.

-Bill J.

G

·
I mix 50% spring 50% distilled don't know why just always have. I have had a problem with our local tap water even though it was declorinated.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ive been thinking of getting a RO unit and installing it to a misting system, but then i heard too pure of water may be harmful to the frogs.

So until then i use aged tap and distilled.

M.N

G

·
I have a deep water spring-fed well near my house, .25 a gallon, I get 5 gallons a week for my various critters, and I use distilled, .99 a gallon for misting and the ultrasonic humidifier

·
Registered
79 Posts
Water

I'm kind of new to PDF's, but I have maintained many aquarium systems for myself and business. The only thing we have ever used RO or Distilled on were discus and then we used additives the replace the lost minerals. The biggest problem other then the lost minerals is that lower priced RO systems tend to do a shoty job at removing everything you they say they will. So you still endow with residue and some chemicals you really don't want in the water.

In Lower Michigan we have a general Ph of about 8.2 and general hardness between 320 and 380. I use aged/delcorinated tap water for misting in my Juvenile tanks and spring water for the dishes.

Doug

G

·
"The biggest problem other then the lost minerals is that lower priced RO systems tend to do a shoty job at removing everything you they say they will."

Well I've never seen a cheap system but I imagine it is a bad idea to buy one from the dollar store. The one I bought from home depot does a great job according to my TDS meter (yes, I do calibrate it before hand)

As far as lost minerals, lets remember the way it works in nature. Frogs get rained on, rain is distilled water. Rain makes puddles and streams that the frogs play in, minerals leach into puddles and streams from the ground and leaf litter. Vivariums have ponds and water falls usually in contact with frog poop, dead flies, leaf litter, long fiber sphagnum, plant roots, and other such things that leach minerals into the water. Even though i use only RO water, my tank water never looks clean.

Sounds to me like RO does a pretty good job of mimicking nature. Really when was the last time it rained spring water?

2 1/2 cents.

Joe

P.S. This of course does not apply in any way to fish/acquariums, just the frogs.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I use rain water for everything right now but will be using spring water in the misting system when I get it hooked up. I think it will give the pump a longer life and not clog the nozzels with trash and debri as quickly with the spring water. I will continue to use the rain water for the tads though.

TonyT

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I use slightly aged tap water. The water is not strongly chlorinated here, and I have used water straight from the tap for sensative fish in the past. The only drawback is deposits on the glass, since the water here is quite hard, but the tank never dries out, so it's not really a problem.

G

·
I use RO water I buy at a local water conditioning business.I use it straight for misting and make a tapole tea for tadpoles with a couple oak leaves in a gallon jug.
I have misted directly into a brom axil an imitator tad was in and didn't suffer any adverse effects doing it.I'm not a big fan of water stains either.
I have raised alot of tads to froglets using this method and the only time I had problems was using our local tap water.
Mark W.

G

·
i have been using spring but stoped because of the deposits it been leaving,so i have gone onto treating tap water with conditioner and then letting it sit for 24 - 48 hours just for good measure
hamo

·
Administrator
13,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you get less stains with tap water?

hamo said:
i have been using spring but stoped because of the deposits it been leaving,so i have gone onto treating tap water with conditioner and then letting it sit for 24 - 48 hours just for good measure
hamo

1 - 20 of 36 Posts