Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying making a false bottom for a 28g bowfront. i have a couple of questions. i want to make a little pond and water fall. first how high should the false bottom be? and how do i add a pond? i will give you a run down of what i am doing just to make sure i understand correctly. first i am useing pvc pipe to hold up the eggcreate. now if their is water under the entire false bottom then how do i make a pond? i want the pond to use the water that is under the bottom cause it will be filtered but how do i make a pond?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've created a false bottom with a pond and waterfall in a 55g. The height of the false bottom needs to be at least as high as the pump (same 2" for a microjet). Then the pond area is a second piece of eggcrate that sits as far below the upper layer as possible (remember to make the hole in the eggcrate bigger than you want the pond as it looks deceiving). Then I laid fiberglass window screen over the eggcrate. Next I added a layer of leca over the entire bottom with the exception of the pond area. The pond and part of the surrounding area is then fill with gravel to create a trough.

This works ok but if you have a taller tank raise the false bottom more so that the pond can be an inch or two deep. The supports I used were 1.25" pvc couplings and 1/2" pvc plug for the pond area. The "waterfall" (more like a slide) was made with a peice of driftwood that has a U-shaped trough in it. All in all this is a nice setup but if the pump dies (like on mine) you need to do some digging to replace it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe could u post some pictures a 28 gallon bowfront seems like a really nice size to have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts