Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I built my 1st Viv using the TitebondIII and cocoa fiber method and it has worked great. However, my particular build had a portion of the fiber underwater and it seems the fiber wicks water striaght up probably 6 inches. The fiber 6" up stays wet all the time. I also built a tiny river, and the water running here seems to wick a long ways as well. I am now planning a 36 x 36 x 18 build, and need to control this better. Is my experience normal?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Yes, pretty much any substrate will wick the water. This is why complete false bottoms (or LECA) are important. It's also one of the reasons that streams and waterfalls are difficult to do properly. No part of your substrate can be in contact with your water.

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
Bumping this thread because the subject is directly related to my question.

I am using an egg crate false bottom with which I want to create a beach/creek effect.

I thought about using large gravel on the visible underwater and on the beach (transition) areas. Just above the transition area I would use a layer of turface and one of ABG for the land area. Not sure how much water the weed barrier (used to cover water and land areas) can/will wick.

Anyone foresees a problem(s)? If so, what is your suggestion(s)? Getting rid of the beach/creek is not an option. :(

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Bumping this thread because the subject is directly related to my question.

I am using an egg crate false bottom with which I want to create a beach/creek effect.

I thought about using large gravel on the visible underwater and on the beach (transition) areas. Just above the transition area I would use a layer of turface and one of ABG for the land area. Not sure how much water the weed barrier (used to cover water and land areas) can/will wick.

Anyone foresees a problem(s)? If so, what is your suggestion(s)? Getting rid of the beach/creek is not an option. :(
Years ago, I set up a bunch of vivs with a pond area like what you are describing. I don't know about weed block, as I used fiberglass screen mesh. I did not have a wicking problem with the fiberglass window screen.
Keep in mind that turface will definitely wick, so don't start the turface layer too close to the water.

Reactions: JPccusa

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
For your ponds, did you use pebbles? What size? I assume the smaller the pebbles, the more it will wick.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking. I used a bag of gravel, from the concrete mixing section, at Lowes. About $3 for a 50 lb. bag. The particle size I used was about 1/4".

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
I tested the weed barrier yesterday. I was curious to see if it wicks. The conclusion - I have no idea. LOL

Well, the material is a soft plastic (no absorption of water by the material) and it appears to repel water. I took some pictures.

BUT, once I removed the air between the weed barrier and the glass, water was able to travel up and out of the glass.

Not sure if this is a different phenomenon or wicking. The strip just hanging over the edge (air in between WB and glass) never wicked water.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Interesting test indeed. Made me wonder if theres some inert material that only lets water down but not up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts