Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is deionized water the same as distilled? What would be the best misting water to use in the terrarium?

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
I use distilled water to mist, spring water for water features and tads.

I plan to switch to treated tap water for tads in the near future.

There was a poll I started on this same topic, what had a lot of good information in it. You may want to search for that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use tap water and add a powder to it. It takes out all the chlorine, Chloramine, and Ammonia. Its called PH 7.0 Seachem Neutral Regulator The stuff wokrs great and it $14 for a big bottle and it last forever because it treats 2000-4000 gallons of water. Hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Water Types

In my opinion, if you are using water for misting, the best to use is RO (reverse osmossis) or distilled water. WHY???? Well, when you mist, there is a high probability that the water will coat the front glass, If you use tap (dechlorinated or otherwise) or some spring waters, you may be introducing water with a high mineral content. Thus when the water dries on the glass, mineral deposits will be left behind and can be unsightly at best.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^^ yup that is exactly why i switch to distilled water. This way i wont have to wipe down the glass so much, and disturb my frogs.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Re: Water Types

Fish Guy said:
In my opinion, if you are using water for misting, the best to use is RO (reverse osmossis) or distilled water. WHY???? Well, when you mist, there is a high probability that the water will coat the front glass, If you use tap (dechlorinated or otherwise) or some spring waters, you may be introducing water with a high mineral content. Thus when the water dries on the glass, mineral deposits will be left behind and can be unsightly at best.
But RO water is too pure and may absorb some minerals the frogs need.

M.N

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't see what the big deal is it doesnt bother me I have a little brush like thing thats made for fish tanks to get the algee off and I use that when I feed the frogs every once and a while. I can still see them through the glass even without cleaning it. Its all a matter of preference I guess :?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use RO water that I buy locally for $.50 a gallon. I bought a 7 gallon jug and it cost me about $3.50 every 10 days.With my tads I just put some in a old Gatorade jug and add some white oak leaves.
I like using RO so I can help prevent mineral deposits from clogging me misting nozzles.
Mark W.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah see $3.50 every ten days compared to my $12 that last me months...I'd rather save that money and buy more frogs and clean the damn glass once in a while :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also use RO. With a misting system there is really no other choice.
The tap water in my area is so hard, mineral deposits would clog a nozzle in a couple months. For tads I just add the oak leaves to.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes distilled water would be just easy on the nozzles as RO.
I just happen to buy RO water from the local Salt Water Fish store. They sell it for about the same price as the local grocery store distilled and I am happy to give money to a fellow hobbyist.

Jabba, both distilled and RO (deionized) water will be fine to mist with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I heard that DI (de-ionised) water was bad, because the De-ionisation resins make the frogs itch, any truth in this?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts