Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good, yet affordable way to test the water I use for misting, and tad rearing. As of now I am using distilled water, it is getting expensive but hasn't done me any wrong. So I picked up a "new but used" Kent R/O system. I want to find out how well of a job it is doing. I would like to compare my tap with the r/o water and maybe even the distilled. Any ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
Plants.
601 Posts
You could look into getting a TDS meter? There are some cheap ones out there (I can't vouch for their accuracy). They'll measure your Total Dissolved Solids, and let you know how much your RO system is taking out when compared to your tap water. If you're looking to test things like nitrite/nitrates/ammonia, master test kits are available from a variety of companies, ranging from ~30$ to over ~75-100$. I have a 30$ Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit that does me just fine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
They should sell API test kits at places like Petco or a local fish store. Get the low range pH and a dKH kit. They should be about $5 each. Even though API is a cheap brand, the dKH kit is actually accurate and is up to standards, along with the pH kit. Very simple tests, just drop some of the test solutions into a vile (which comes with the kit) filled with 5ml of water (there's a line on there that shows 5ml), shake, and compare the color to a card which will tell you the range of the parameter you're testing for.

PS: Used to, lots of distilled water from the grocery store would have minerals. Things have changed and now the distilled water is perfectly fine. I use it for top-offs and mixing saltwater for my fish. I know many people who use RO/DI units and have had them for years and they keep great reef tanks, so your unit should be fine for frogs, but testing never hurts.

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
Your going to be better off with a decent TDS meter as that is going to give the best idea of how the membranes are working in the RO unit.

You can get a decent inexpensive one from various places.. for example at work I got mine from Aquatic Eco-Systems: aquaculture, lake, koi pond and aquarium supplies (not as feedback but they have a good selection for the OP to check out).

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts