Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I starting a new build here soon and am in need of a water pump for my planned water feature. My problem is I cant find a pump thats going to be quiet and good enough quality to not give me problems. I also need one thats going to be strong enough to pump water around 15-20inchs high. any suggestions??

I know ppl has mentioned the 501 filter before but i just dont see how that would work. not to mention itd take up alot of space inside the viv.

·
Registered
508 Posts
We use the Mini-Jet 404 by Marineland for our vertical builds. It's tiny, quiet, and it has adjustable flow. We've been thru a lot of pumps, but this one totally rocks.

k

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm ok thanks i just read reviews and nobody has anything bad to say about it. do u know what the deminsions of it is? im trying to work on my false bottom and everything and wanting to build where im going to put it and idk how big to make it

·
Registered
508 Posts
It's 3" tall at the top of the connection, 2" long and 1 3/8" wide. It sounds like I have one in hand, doesn't it? Yeah, I do - actually, I have 6 pumps waiting to be used. When we built our 20g vertical, we laid it on its side to accommodate a shallower false bottom.

So far, so good ~

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm if i get that one its going in a 46 bowfront so itd have at max 20inchs to push the water. does it have that kinda power?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I starting a new build here soon and am in need of a water pump for my planned water feature. My problem is I cant find a pump thats going to be quiet and good enough quality to not give me problems. I also need one thats going to be strong enough to pump water around 15-20inchs high. any suggestions??

I know ppl has mentioned the 501 filter before but i just dont see how that would work. not to mention itd take up alot of space inside the viv.
You can find the Exo Terra 200 at Petsmart for like $20

The 501 filter will work if you sit it behind the tank and drill a hole in the back of the tank for the intake towards the bottom then a hole in the back where you want the return hose.
You might have to buy longer hoses tho idk. The hoses on my 501 are 19½"
Honestly tho you should just get a regular pump...not too many here worry about filtration and actually suggest letting biofilm build up.

·
Registered
508 Posts
You can find the Exo Terra 200 at Petsmart for like $20

The 501 filter will work if you sit it behind the tank and drill a hole in the back of the tank for the intake towards the bottom then a hole in the back where you want the return hose.
You might have to buy longer hoses tho idk. The hoses on my 501 are 19½"
Honestly tho you should just get a regular pump...not too many here worry about filtration and actually suggest letting biofilm build up.
If your tank is made of tempered glass, you won't be able to drill a hole. We use an external pump on our 150g tank and it's super quiet. I doubt you'll need that much horsepower on your first tank, tho -

·
Registered
2,293 Posts

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Go with Guppygals pump. Super quiet and they last for years. I have Marineland pumps that have been in use for 10 years! Here is a working link and probably the best price you'll find. Marine depot is a reliable source. Waterflow is adjustable and they'll pump up to 32". Mini-Jet Powerhead

·
Registered
14 Posts
The link now says the mini-jet is discounted but theres no way, I found, to get the price or buy it!! Maybe it's been discontinued? Anyway, this is an old thread and was the only one I found with good info on a QUIET pump!!

I just set up an 18" exo-terra with a trickle water fall down a piece of driftwood into a small corner pond. I bought a Rio 50 which is inside a 3" PVC pipe pumping up 20" and down 10" to the driftwood with a ball valve to control the water. It is loud as crap and I can't stand it so I began searching for the quietest small pump available!

Any suggestions?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts