Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a false bottom setup, and the pump keeps giving me problems. I have used sponges and mesquito screen to try preventing dirt build up that clogs the pump, but nothing is working out well. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent this?

·
Registered
986 Posts
My suggestion is to be very careful when cutting out your false bottom to make sure you have a tight fit against the sides of the terrarium, then use a coarse substrate like fir bark or coco husk chips.

This is what I have done in two different setups with fountain pumps as the pump, and I have not had problems in 2 years other than once having to pour water down the outgoing tube when the pump was turned off to clear a little debris from the impeller.

My pumps are not wrapped in foam or screen. I hope that helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to wrap my pumps in sponge, I don't bother much anymore. I find that starting/stopping the pump repeatedly can clear a lot of clogs, then just make sure there is a small gap of air between the false bottom and the water (and of course that you have some screen between the substrate and the false bottom).

-Tad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my false bottom is already full of dirt, so I am trying to find a way to prevent the dirt from being pulled into and blocking the intake grill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts