Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I finally moved and re-set up my 100gal diamond. I made several improvements from the old tank (I'll save those for a post with pics). I wanted to create a pool with semi stagnant water so frogs could deposit their tads into a pool of calm steeped up "tea water". The setup before had a pool, but it was like white water rapids comparing to this. I have an external canister filter cleaning and supplying water for the waterfall. The setup has gravel as the bottom. I made the filter intake in opposite side then of the pool as to not circulate the water too much. The water is clear and has a brownish tint to it, (from black water extract), there is a bunch of decaying oak leaves, some aquatic plants java moss and duck weed. It looks great - tads are swimming. Seems there are no problems. Upon closer inspection I noticed a bunch of little critters swimming all over there. These seem like quarter of the size of a small springtail. These are barely visible with the naked eye. I'm assuming they forage on the dead leaves and any other dead plant matter; these must be some type of aquatic decomposers or something. I just hope that their increasing numbers won't have any ill effects on the tads. I'm curious if the tads can eat those. The water is heated to 24'C, so it's a perfect temp for anything to grow and breed. I'll post some pics of the setup soon.

G

·
If they look like little swimming trilobites, then you have what I have in all my tad water. I have no clue what they are, but they don't do any damage. I'm pretty sure that I got my culture of these little buggers from java moss that someone gave me, but who knows. Good luck with your new pets :)

·
Registered
986 Posts
You might be right, Arklier. However, I have Daphnia growing in the water areas of my well-lit tanks. Nonetheless, I wouldn't say they looked like Trilobites. :?: Joe, maybe you have a freshwater shrimp of some sort . . . but most of those like cold water (to my limited knowledge of them).

Anyway, here are some sites with decent pics:

http://evodevo.uoregon.edu/people/Omilian.html --Daphnia

http://www.globalchange.umich.edu/.../ s6g6/page1.htm --Copopods (cyclops is a common one)

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/.../ branchiopoda.html --Fairy Shrimp

These guys are all very harmless to frogs, and tadpoles actually fare very well eating them (well, fairy shrimp are usually too large, and I doubt that anyone has these).

G

·
Ive got this stinky turtle to look after for a freind and i have them everywhere in the water. A sign of good water quality IMO. I guess you wouldn't see them in a fish tank for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Why do turtles get a bum rap about being smelly? I have three and the 75 gallon tank they are in doesn't smell like anything.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
When people don't keep the water clean, the it gets smelly, especially if they feed the turtles in the tank and don't do regular water changes. Smelly tanks = poor husbandry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts