Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the question I have been asking myself for a couple days now? I initially intended to use one, but have come across several people who say water features are a waste of effort and money. I wondered if others had found this to be true, or if water movement is necessary? Is access to open water even necessary in and of itself, or could I go full terrestrial?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Water features can be fun and attractive, but most involving pools or open water take up space for frogs to walk on... Although, I really like dripwalls. Keeps the humidity high, allows for interesting mosses and such, and take up no space that frogs would need. You'd probably have to use a false bottom for a water reservoir tho'.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Water features are not at all necessary for the rearing of poison dart frogs. They take up space in the vivarium that could otherwise be used by the frogs and, in the worst case scenario, they can cause the death of frogs.

Some folks swear by them.

Good luck either way you go, Richard.

Reactions: Frogzilla

·
Registered
68 Posts
From what I've been reading, water features are really just a PITA, but some species appreciate having shallow pools, like P. Vittatus.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I personally like the look of a water feature and it plays a significant role in the mental image of a rainforest scene to me. People argue that we create these tanks for the frogs not form ourselves, but I think thats an out and out lie. We wouldn't keep these creatures if they and their environments werent pretty.

So, the answer is really to go with what makes the most sense to you. Water features probably double the time and cost but if it is impoertant for your image of a rainforest then you probably shouldn't skimp. A few more hours on the initial setup can mean a whole lot of enjoyment for the following months to years if its important to you. Plus, they help with humidity.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I might add though, water features as said can be beautiful but they can also be butt ugly. I would really stay away from them for your first viv (like I am, hehe) and just go the simple route; IME when you're a beginner it's so easy to mess up and a water feature is one more thing to do that with...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've built 8 vivariums over the past 8 years or so. Every pond, stream, or water feature eventually stopped working or became unsightly.

I finished 2 vivs last month - my first without water features of any kind other than a false bottom and a drain line.

I'll ... NEVER ... go .... back!

I have had tads deposited and grow up and morph out of my water features, thus for a time I certainly enjoyed them, but overall I vote to skip the water features!

My 2 cents, which, with another $1.00, will get you a coke :)

Cheers,
Steve
1.1.0 azureus
1.1.4 galacs

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I wouldn't build a large display vivarium without a water feature. For a small set up they can quickly become a stagnant swamp. Be sure your pump won't clog to easily and it is readily accessible. Set it up so the plant medium does not get soaked and come in to much contact with the water.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If the water feature is simple to repair, easy to manage, and does not take up too much space, then why not? It's all preference. I personally really like my water feature and my frogs have jumped into it a few times without issue.

Read up on what others have done but don't be afraid to be creative.
The tank is supposed to be unique.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Almost all of the best vivs I've ever seen have some form of water feature. Everything from full blown Paludariums, to a periodic dripwall with tiny pond. Having a water feature can give you a lot more plant choices also, which to me it fun to experiment with. I vote for yes for water features because I love moss covered walls. Many members with multiple tanks will definitely disagree due to the added work though.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
there are a few species that I would say go for the wate featre.

that being said, they're usually unnecessary. Especially if you're new to making vivariums your effort should go more toward excellent hardscaping. Water features will become easier and look better as you gain more experience viv making.

by the way, many froggers use water features, but many that I've spoken with say that as they gained experience they stopped using water features. Something to think about.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the responses. Many valid points here, but I think I'm not going to have a feature for this first vivarium. Though I have some other tanks I plan to make into vivs so I'll have to try a water feature in one of those.

·
Registered
564 Posts
You'll be happy you chose no for the first viv I'm sure! I wrestled with the same question before deciding against it for my first tank and I was quite happy with it's outcome. This hobby is addicting anyways, so I'm sure you'll make more tanks down the road. This way you have a good excuse if you ever have to explain to some significant other why you absolutely positively need to build just one more tank :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually Freaky, I have a ten gallon I just put the first layer of great stuff in.. so that's number two started. I also have a 40 breeder which I'm questioning whether to set up vertical or horizontal, and a 20xh which I'll use as well.... I'm already addicted and don't even have my first tank completed, much less my first frogs yet:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts