Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-

Heres another question. Is a water feature needed to get tincs, azureus, and other species (not egg feeders) to lay? Up until recently I have been putting water in all my tanks, but have set a few up with moss and oak litter and love the way it looks. The moss seems to do great without water but even if water is added to the tank it gets mold. I have a mister already so im wondering if having a pool in the tank is necessary for reproduction if I am taking the eggs out (does it stimulate the frogs to breed?) Just curious on peoples experience.

Thanks,

Mike

G

·
My experience is that they will lay regardless of the water feature. However, they do tend to enjoy the ability to soak after laying eggs. THis allows the fdemale to reabsorb the fluids she used in laying the eggs.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have water bowls in all my tanks, I use peanut butter jar lids, and they work great.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'm a landscape architect (and love doing the terrariums up) but I can go overboard on the tanks and can drop $250-$350 just for plants and driftwood on a single 30 gallon terrarium. Im getting to the point that waterfalls are more of a mess than I would like and many of the orchids and bromiliads that I propegate cant take tons of water (even if they are mounted to the wall). I love the way moss and leaf litter work so I think I'm going to add more of that and less water. I would still love to hear more oppinions on the issue. It just seemed to me that by having a body of water present the frogs would be more inclined to lay, having a place to drop their tads. But I take the eggs out and if water isnt necessary than I say great.

-Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts