Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3x Unsexed Azureus (4/5 months)
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Planning out my second viv at the moment, for 3 Mint Terribilis, and wanted to include a water feature. Now, I've heard that water features tend to mold pretty easily from a few people, but wanted to ask here specifically since it's a board for darts. I was planning on a pretty small section that can fit in an 18x18x18, something more akin to a drip wall leading into a tiny body of water with duckweed. My concern is that I don't want it to grow too much mold, or if a drip wall ends up being too much work to maintain. Any tips/general advice or experience in this case

·
Super Moderator
2,439 Posts
Hi
Planning out my second viv at the moment, for 3 Mint Terribilis, and wanted to include a water feature. Now, I've heard that water features tend to mold pretty easily from a few people, but wanted to ask here specifically since it's a board for darts. I was planning on a pretty small section that can fit in an 18x18x18, something more akin to a drip wall leading into a tiny body of water with duckweed. My concern is that I don't want it to grow too much mold, or if a drip wall ends up being too much work to maintain. Any tips/general advice or experience in this case
Welcome,

18x18x18 is smaller than I would keep Phyllobates terribilis in, even without a water feature.

Water features are not needed for dart frogs, they serve no benefit to P. terribilis.

I would HIGHLY recommend skipping the water feature.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Tanks with water features are never a good idea for housing dart frogs since they come with a ton of risks. It's really really really hard to make it work.

That beeing said, the size of your tank would be way to small to even consider a waterfeature.

Your tank would also be to small to house 3 Terribilis for that mather.
I highly recommend to never go smaller than 50x50x50cm for a pair of Terribilis.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Aside from being a bad idea with dart frogs, I will agree that water features do tend to mold and require a much higher level of maintenance than a simple misting system. In a small tank, I suspect they would just saturate everything in the tank, leaving no dry spaces for non-aquatic plants or for dart frogs.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'd skip the water feature, and the terribilis locality you're looking at happens to be the largest one. Much better for the frogs and for your enjoyment if you went to a larger tank size. If you don't have the space, pick a smaller species.

·
Registered
3x Unsexed Azureus (4/5 months)
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome,

18x18x18 is smaller than I would keep Phyllobates terribilis in, even without a water feature.

Water features are not needed for dart frogs, they serve no benefit to P. terribilis.

(Replying to this one but I appreciate all the responses and this is a cumulative response haha)

Sounds good then, I'll skip it. Also good to know that the tank size is too small, that's something that's a good catch. I will definitely look for something else to fill the tank and skip the water feature.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Since the 18" cube is shit for that taxon, and you want to try your hand with something wet - why not try a not-so-drippy drip wall in that cube? No standing water. No animals until you have it built and trialed and de-bugged.

I like to run a little water through parts of my cracked-cork mosiacs. Any runoff (there isn't much) goes straight down to hit a strip of Matala, which is screened on the front, so the substrate doesn't get wet and the Matala stays free of substrate. The Matala drains straight into my false bottom.

It's pretty slick, and increases the "bioclimatic heterogeneity" of my vivs. With zero water quality issues. This water is one-time pass-through, from a fresh reservoir into a dumped drainage bucket.

Anyway - trying to stoke you a little bit after the deflating news about your trio of little fatties.

Good luck, have fun!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Having built / troubleshot and maintained a few water features, a few critical points if it really must be (however generally if you really want a water feature, why don't you get a frog that would benefit from one?):
  • Your pump should be easy to access (so not e.g. under or IN the tank)
    • Your pump will clog up or break. Your hoses / plumbing will also clog up. You will need to access the pump / blow out the holes
    • Ideally outside / away from the tank. You should be able to pull off the hoses / fix any blockages or replace the pump in under 5 mins. It would be a shame if you had to tear apart a nice hardscape...
    • It should also sit lower vs. the drainage layer of your tank
  • Never run your pump dry. Ideally you add a reservoir in front of your pump (if your drainage layer is small)
    • You can get cheap acrylic ones from PC watercooling supplies (e.g. amazon); this will also act as a buffer for your drainage layer
  • Ideally only use the water feature an hour or so each day; no standing water
    • Terribs especially WILL need to dry out - or get foot rot. Limit the "scope" of the water feature to e.g. only one small / part of the tank - e.g. a drop wall

·
Registered
520 Posts
Welcome,

All of this. 18x18 is too small for one terribilis. Terribilis are also prone to foot rot brought on by overly wet environments. So not only is your water feature not a benefit to the frogs, it's an extremely large risk to their health.

Glad to see you're rethinking this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts