Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using feather lite as the drainage layer and ABG mix above for substrate, how do people separate a corner area for a pond? I know people say they don't put the drainage layer or substrate there and just leave it open, but when I dump the water in that area, wouldn't it just flow out to the other areas of the drainage layer instead of staying in the pond?

I think that it would cause the drainage layer to have too much water, unless I'm not thinking of something. Is there anything else I need to add to separate the area?

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
No additional separation is necessary. The water should just flow under into your drainage area. That's what your drainage area is for, to hold excess water. Make absolutely sure that it is well sealed off with plastic canvas or screen mesh. You don't want to get a frog trapped under there!
Personally, I prefer to skip the ponds and build my vivs for the frogs. They would generally prefer more leaf litter and hunting areas.

Reactions: Mer_

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Ya ya, wood is the easiest. It prevents the dirt from washing. And make a deeper feather light base so the dirt is not sitting in water. Also growing moss down the edge helps "erosion" form your frogs going on the dirt. It kind of wipes their feet off before they get into the water.

I usually do water changes on my tanks every so often to keep it clean. I am not sure though if others do water changes as often as I do, but I think it helps to get some fresh water in there.

I love water features as it prevents you from having to mist every single day or things die.

And about the water going into the drainage area, yes it will. You can separate it, but too much work. Let the water level be below your dirt, and go from the pond into the feather lite. Any drainage substrate, expandable clay aggregate, feather lite, or gravel, will all also act as a biological filter.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I believe to cover your eggcrate/plastic canvas/screen mesh so that it looks nice and natural.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys!

Ray, do you just lay a piece of wood where the substrate and drainage layer stop? Is it that simple or do I need to silicone?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm doing this in a 36 X 18 X 36 Exo terra...how many inches do you think the drainage layer should be in order to create this small pond in the corner?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts