Dendroboard banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night as I was making my last rounds, I took a look at my isopods and found one of my giant canyons in the act of shedding. It was right in the prime viewing area, so I grabbed my camera and flashlight to film it.

I took two clips, and am hoping to post a video somewhere isopod enthusiasts can enjoy it. They do a push and pull motion that resembles an inchworm's movements, and it almost looked like it was excreting a small amount of liquid throughout the process. It could have simply been the sheen of the soft, vulnerable new skin as it stretched and contracted, but whatever the case, it was really cool to watch, with it so close, and being such a large isopod. Anyone who has observed them for a while has probably noticed their tendency to shed the front half, followed by the back half a bit later, or at least that's how mine tend to do it. I have seen the reverse, too, but it's always half at a time.

Anyway, it was very cool to discover that last night, and get the chance to record it!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts