Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The strangest thing happened to me earlier while I was feeding and I wanted to share. I kept finding Bean Beetles crawling around here and there in my frog room. I checked my cultures and lids and could find no place for escapees and I had not fed BB in a couple of weeks. All the escapees were confined to a space of about 4x4 and not where my cultures are even kept. After searching all over I finally found where they were coming from. The last time I added peas to my cultures I had about a quarter of a bag of beans left, which I tied up tight with a bread tie and put into a drawer. Somehow, the bb had gotten into that bag and reproduced and were crawling out as they hatched! Fair warning to all...keep extra black eyed peas in a sealed container!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Too funny... same exact thing happened to me. Kept seeing 3 or 4 crawling around every few days. Thought maybe they were escapees from the tinc tank until the amount that I started to see just didn't make sense.

I went to make up a new culture one day and finally figured out the source of the beetles... no clue how they made their way into a tightly sealed black eye pea bag. Needless to say that was an easy culture to make.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I keep my surplus beans in gasket boxes as they are tight enough to prevent any access by the beetles.

Ed

·
Registered
209 Posts
Those guys are like little tanks. I find them in the wierdest placest after a feeding. I try to use only the amount that my frogs could eat . I had a lot of escapee's and my wife did not like it at all. She said next one she found the frogs were either going to the garage or I was eating. Well I've eaten 5 so far and let me tell you there not to bad. Could use a little ketchup or bbq sauce. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I got tired of my lady complaining about them at 6am. When they seem to find her, and ONLY her. " Those beetles woke me up again crawling over my face!"

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ah yes they are little devils, I've found them coming out of unopened bags before. Now all extras pea's are stored in the freezer

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never thought of keeping them in the freezer! I usually don't have any left over when I add them to my cultures. I've never hear of them getting into unopened bags either!

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's hilarious!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts