Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I collected a bunch of fallen magnolia leaves from the ground around a magnolia tree today. I recalled reading something about magnolia leaves making good leaf litter. The ones I got are mostly green/yellow with some brown since they fell off the tree. I think it may be a good idea to clean them to get bugs and stuff off. What should I clean them with and how should I clean them? Will putting them in a bucket of water do any good? Also, will they sill be useful if I mash some of them into a few pieces? They're pretty big and my viv is pretty small.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Try to collect the dry leafs. What you can do is put the green/yellow leafs in a garabage bag and put somewhere for the leafs to dry. By the time the leafs are dy they should be brown in color. Also cleaning/baking/boiling the leafs also rids it of harmful parasites and bacteria that could harm your frogs and plants.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try to collect the dry leafs. What you can do is put the green/yellow leafs in a garabage bag and put somewhere for the leafs to dry. By the time the leafs are dy they should be brown in color. Also cleaning/baking/boiling the leafs also rids it of harmful parasites and bacteria that could harm your frogs and plants.
I guess boiling would come before drying, correct? I'll go boil them... lol I'm boiling leaves, that's so odd. :p

·
Registered
49 Posts
which is the best method to get the leaves clean? i guess what heat for the oven and how long? boiling for how long? and the drying i can figure out on my own...:eek: do i only need to do one of the heating methods? thanks

·
Registered
691 Posts
I don't recommend boiling them (it's an extra, unnecessary step). I simply dump them (one hefty bag at a time) into the bathtub, soak, rinse and then air-dry for a few hours, then off to the oven for at least 10 minutes (or until dry if longer is necessary) at 300°.

-Christian

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't recommend boiling them (it's an extra, unnecessary step). I simply dump them (one hefty bag at a time) into the bathtub, soak, rinse and then air-dry for a few hours, then off to the oven for at least 10 minutes (or until dry if longer is necessary) at 300°.

-Christian

Soak in what? Also, is this advise good for ANY leaf litter? I collected sea grape & oak leaves today & would like to disinfect them before putting them in the viv (which is empty anyway, lol)

·
Registered
179 Posts
yeah i also wanted to use oak leaves as i have a few trees in my yard. also heard they could be used for tadpoles? same disinfecting process?

·
Registered
691 Posts
yeah i also wanted to use oak leaves as i have a few trees in my yard. also heard they could be used for tadpoles? same disinfecting process?
If collected in a pesticide and fertilizer free area, no need to wash... When you bake them they pretty much clean themselves.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would still recommend washing them.
At the very least, when you bake them, it'll steam off the excess moisture and help to ensure a cleaner product. If you don't boil, then use a diluted bleach solution. (I prefer to boil as you can save the tannin rich water for tadpoles, etc)

Also- store the leaves in paper grocery bags. Plastic bags may cause your leaves to mold.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts