Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Newbie here, first post :)
When using hydroton or Leca as the drainage layer some comes very dusty and requires being washed prior to use.
1) Does this washing water need to be RO water?
2) Does the pH of the water matter?
3) what pH to shoot for?
4) with a vivarium where frogs will be housed what chemical to use to increase or decrease the pH of the water?

thanks

·
Administrator
4,339 Posts
1) Does this washing water need to be RO water?
2) Does the pH of the water matter?
No and no, not really.

4) with a vivarium where frogs will be housed what chemical to use to increase or decrease the pH of the water?
What frogs are you intending to keep? I don't know of anyone that measures the pH of the water we use for misting our tanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rinse inert substrate with any potable water. Mist with RO.

LECA wicks a lot -- do research the pros and cons of whatever you choose to use for a drainage layer, and for anything else really.
What is your preferred drainage layer or method of draining? I intend to use an automated spray system for what It is worth, in a 36x24x18 Exo terra. (If I can find one around that is they’re hard to come by it seems where I live). Looking at keeping a two tincs. Read your thread of a build that also had a paper about tinc habitat and so on. Great reading.

·
Administrator
6,719 Posts
I like sloped bottoms a lot (that's why I put one in that tinc build) otherwise I use aquarium filter foam sheets currently. The former is just slick and the latter is lightweight, inexpensive and looks pretty decent through the glass (better than anything else, anyway). Both work, as does egg crate on risers.

Just FYI, the common format for Exo dimensions is length (left to right) x depth (front to back) x height (I haven't noticed that there's a Canadian format on this, but if there is I'd like to learn it). Not sure how your measurements translate to this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like sloped bottoms a lot (that's why I put one in that tinc build) otherwise I use aquarium filter foam sheets currently. The former is just slick and the latter is lightweight, inexpensive and looks pretty decent through the glass (better than anything else, anyway). Both work, as does egg crate on risers.

Just FYI, the common format for Exo dimensions is length (left to right) x depth (front to back) x height (I haven't noticed that there's a Canadian format on this, but if there is I'd like to learn it). Not sure how your measurements translate to this.
Nope you’re right on dimensions. Just the dyslexia gets them numbers mixed up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I think I will be going down the sloping bottom route too. Although I will definitely go buy a practice pane or two before I drill on the Exo. If it was to break are the panes replaceable?

·
Administrator
6,719 Posts
I think I will be going down the sloping bottom route too. Although I will definitely go buy a practice pane or two before I drill on the Exo. If it was to break are the panes replaceable?
Theoretically. It is much more difficult to replace a pane than it is to drill glass, though, so if you do break a pane drilling it I'd not recommend trying to top that trick.

If I broke a pane on an Exo I'd buy a new Exo without thinking twice. It isn't worth the trouble and risk of future leaks to have a cobbled together glass box, IMO.

Reactions: Croakeycroakyson
1 - 12 of 12 Posts