Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get a female green sip for my male this week, and since this is my first breeding project with any animal other than ducks, I'd like some advice in general of how to keep the eggs and tads. Be VERY specific, please. I just want to make sure I have as low a mortality rate as I can. :)

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Just make sure you read up on it good. Make sure you keep the eggs moist, but not too wet so they mold over. Takes about 2 weeks from egg to tad, then roughly 3 months from tad to frog. I feed tadpole bites/fish flakes to the tads. Just don't get discouraged if your first eggs/tads don't make it. It took until my azureu's 6th clutch to produce a full healthy good frog. It just takes time. Good luck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did, I'd just like some very specific advice (amount to mist the eggs, where to store them, how much water to leave in the petri dish, etc.)

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
I did, I'd just like some very specific advice (amount to mist the eggs, where to store them, how much water to leave in the petri dish, etc.)
This varies depending on the conditions in whether or not the eggs are being raisied artificially or not, the conditions where the eggs are being kept, the types of water involved, the species involved, supplementation of the adults, and a number of other factors. What works for one person may not work for you.... I strongly suggest reading through the things that peoople have tried and decide where you want to start as your going to have to experiment until you figure out what works for you....

Cookbook husbandry doesn't work as well for a number of amphibians as there is too much diversity...

Reactions: Pumilo

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not so much that I want to follow everything to the complete letter as much as it is as I want a rough estimate as to what to do.

I've heard it's a good idea to mist with dechlorinated water every other day (on the eggs)

I just want to see what people have done and... while I will do what seems best, I would love for a baseline to look at.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
It's not so much that I want to follow everything to the complete letter as much as it is as I want a rough estimate as to what to do.

I've heard it's a good idea to mist with dechlorinated water every other day (on the eggs)

I just want to see what people have done and... while I will do what seems best, I would love for a baseline to look at.

There are a large number of discussions on here with that information in them... for example misting the eggs.. people have used RO, DI, tadpole tea, solutions of methylene blue, reconstituted RO, reconstituted DI, well water etc....

In this case, some patience and the advanced search function are going to be your best friends.....

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
As far as egg care, I like to leave clutches in the tank to develop and pull them after they hatch to raise artificially. I find not moving them from the parent viv typically results in lower mortality. If there is egg eating, or they tend to mold over, then I will pull them and if mold is a problem with high humidity I put some very diluted methylene blue around them. Also, if you pull them, I suggest covering them in some way (like a coco-hut) so they don't get a lot of direct light on them or dry out.
Bryan

Reactions: dendrobateslover
1 - 10 of 10 Posts