Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FINALLY! After years of having my 2007 red Rio Branco pumilio, I have success! It got to a point that I finally figured that they were just too old. After all, they were originally wild caught so who knows how old they were when they were imported, add to that the almost five years they've been in captivity.... But today I went to feed and I saw a little guy (which I originally thought was my female). It looks pretty big to me, I'm guessing about two months out of the water, but it's still got some coloring up to do. It's not like a typical brand new froglet which is nervous to come out of its brom axil. It was foraging in the leaf litter. Anyway, enough of me venting my excitement, it's time for some pictures (what crappy pictures I could get... I grabbed the worse of my two point-and-shoots before it ran out of sight).

(I already have a taker for this and the next few froglets out... please don't PM me about availability).

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Very nice looking froglet. Good luck and congratulations.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Congrats Jake! He's beautiful!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Got home from date night and started the build on the new viv.. I guess if I can't get the parents back I'll take lil ones! Good work brother!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Are you planning on leaving this lil guy in with the parents, or outside rearing?

Maybe I am a bit too speculative, but I would keep my eyes on the leaf litter and brom axils for a bit, and maybe reintro some springs as a supplemental boost. Just in case there are more un-noticed/on the way, ;) !

Congrats to you, it must be quite pleasing after the wait! Best of luck toward the continued success as well!

JBear

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you planning on leaving this lil guy in with the parents, or outside rearing?

Maybe I am a bit too speculative, but I would keep my eyes on the leaf litter and brom axils for a bit, and maybe reintro some springs as a supplemental boost. Just in case there are more un-noticed/on the way, ;) !

Congrats to you, it must be quite pleasing after the wait! Best of luck toward the continued success as well!

JBear
He'll be hanging in the parent enclosure for a while.

I'm hoping for more. It got to a point that I really stopped paying attention to this tank, but I had some froggers over not too long ago and these guys are usually a spectacle. The female is rather bold and looks a bit like a white-foot sylvaticus, but half the size. They noticed that she had ascended and descended the forty gallon vert three times in their twenty or thirty minutes in the frog room. They figured something was going on.... Let's hope your speculations are right.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Very nice Jake! I hope to get some of these some day. Hopefully by then I'll have the option to work with F2's or 3's.

Where there's one there's more :D Hopefully!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice Jake! I hope to get some of these some day. Hopefully by then I'll have the option to work with F2's or 3's.

Where there's one there's more :D Hopefully!
For the life of me, I can't seem to find anyone who is working with the same import. I was hoping (back when I still felt I had hopes of breeding) to find a few people to increase the bloodlines, but I haven't found anyone. Most people I've seen are working with the yellow Rio Brancos and so far they've all been from different imports. These are by far my favorites. They're a nice, deep orange, almost a red. The only other person I knew who had some lost them in a tragic accident....

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well worth the wait. When you get a chance, can you post pics of the pair?
I'll see what I can do. I've got pictures from years ago. Now the male hangs deep in the canopy. The female hangs near the bottom but she runs when I try to get pictures. I'll try to get some tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
For the life of me, I can't seem to find anyone who is working with the same import. I was hoping (back when I still felt I had hopes of breeding) to find a few people to increase the bloodlines, but I haven't found anyone. Most people I've seen are working with the yellow Rio Brancos and so far they've all been from different imports. These are by far my favorites. They're a nice, deep orange, almost a red. The only other person I knew who had some lost them in a tragic accident....
Try contacting Eric Malolepsy, he may be able to help you out.

I really don't see the point in SNDF calling them all Rio Brancos and then telling us to keep them separate based on color. I also don't get the point of keeping them separate based on import date. If they are being called the same thing, from the same source, and there's no locality data, they may as well be bred together. Especially since they split phenotypes like with the Cristobals and Escudo. Any thoughts?

Also, you may want to check with Chris Teem, I believe he has a lone female ;)

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Try contacting Eric Malolepsy, he may be able to help you out.

I really don't see the point in SNDF calling them all Rio Brancos and then telling us to keep them separate based on color. I also don't get the point of keeping them separate based on import date. If they are being called the same thing, from the same source, and there's no locality data, they may as well be bred together. Especially since they split phenotypes like with the Cristobals and Escudo. Any thoughts?

Also, you may want to check with Chris Teem, I believe he has a lone female ;)
In boldface you may have answered your own question. Furthermore, I find it a bit irresponsible on behalf of SNDF to be propogating frogs into our hobby without knowing locality data. Just my opinion.

JBear

·
Registered
321 Posts
In boldface you may have answered your own question. Furthermore, I find it a bit irresponsible on behalf of SNDF to be propogating frogs into our hobby without knowing locality data. Just my opinion.

JBear
I guess 90% of the imports into this country were irresponsibly executed.

I do not recall Marcus explicitly telling people not to breed the red and yellow Rio Brancos together. I agree with Adam in that if the are both Rio Brancos, then they should be bred together.

Ashton

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Let me start by saying, I HATE that many importers still don't have precise locale data on their frogs. I've started boycotting those that bring in wild caught frogs and cannot verify exactly where they've been collected.

I am dubious at best when it comes to my trust in collectors/importers (my trust in people in general). I've heard of far too many frogs that have been misconstrued as one frog or another based on that frog's phonetypic display. Even recently, some frogs have come in classified as one frog and then shippers have labeled them based on whatever they think is going to be worth more (and what it looks somewhat like). So for me, I don't trust the people who tell SNDF that "these are X frog."

However, I DO believe in the laziness of human beings. I don't think that any anonymous collector will go far out of his or her way to collect as many frogs as they can that look alike, no matter where they came from, and label them all the same way. I also don't think that any anonymous collector will go out of his or her way to intentionally visit the EXACT spot that they were out when collecting their first "X frog."

I suppose all of this is to say, I find it highly likely that many of the imports labelled "Rio Branco" are not the same "rio Branco" that I have. As long as I can find "new blood" from my import (mine are wild caught, after all, any frog not directly descended from my pair won't be directly related), I don't want to worry about crossing colors or import years.

Beyond that, I have to say, while if I KNEW that the yellows and reds were in the same area, I would make sure to have a yellow and red pair to encourage diversity in the offspring (if nothing more than phenotypic diversity). However, were I offered a pair of yellows I would have likely turned them down. I don't find the yellow Rio Brancos to be a particularly attractive frog, and as long as I can keep the red ones, I will.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
firstly, excellent work. these and the rio guarmo are very under-represented and it seems both are quite difficult to breed, with some success happening only now, years after import.

i would like to add that it should become pretty clear if successful breeding continues, whether the red and the yellow populations are one in the same since one would assume that if they are from the same location the genes would be mixed and that offspring would be produced in both colors regardless of the color of the parents,(just as the cemetery population of bastimentos occurs) conversely if the parents produce offspring of the same color on a consistent basis, it should be reasonable to assume that they occur in different locations, since even a small portion of either color in the frogs genetic line should show up in the offspring within a relatively short period of time.

the above should, of course, not be used as empirical evidence which would suggest the mixing of the two, since that data is unavailable, but it could shed some light on the situation.

james

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i would like to add that it should become pretty clear if successful breeding continues, whether the red and the yellow populations are one in the same since one would assume that if they are from the same location the genes would be mixed and that offspring would be produced in both colors regardless of the color of the parents,(just as the cemetery population of bastimentos occurs) conversely if the parents produce offspring of the same color on a consistent basis, it should be reasonable to assume that they occur in different locations, since even a small portion of either color in the frogs genetic line should show up in the offspring within a relatively short period of time.
An interesting thought, to be sure. I suppose it might matter if there's a recessive or dominant trait. If the reds are recessive then there's little (no?) chance that mine will ever produce a yellow... but there may be some yellows that produce reds... or vice versa.

I suppose the point it: those with yellow Rio Brancos, START BREEDING THEM!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.