Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So i have actually started the tank. The false bottom is in with a column in the corner for pump access and siphon access. The GreatStuff sealing the edges of the column are curing as we speak. Ill be acquiring the Coco Fiber to do the covering of that soon. Just a quick update anyway.

The main reason i have this post though is the lighting on my tank.

I have a nice lighting canopy from when i had my saltwater reef tank. It holds 4 T5's and im ordering lights for it. I looked on ReefGeek.com and i noticed the stand 54 watt 6.5k HO T5 and another that was for midday.

My question is how much light do i really need if i setup a timer switch to do early morning with only two T5's, Midday with all 4 and then back to only two in the evening? If i get two of each light that is 216 watts on a 55 gal tank. which seems high? about 4 watts per gal. What would be a good wattage on the tank? suggestions?

So far i have a couple orchids, hoya, pilea, a few philodendrons, couple different broms and maybe a couple other things on the way.

I just dont want to order lighting and either roast everything or have stuff not getting enough light. The top of the tank is glassed in so some light refraction will occur.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks guys and gals,
Wayne

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 55 gal tank. Dimensions are 48" x 12" x ~20"

Im tempted to drop the 2 54 watts and get a lower wattage to around 165 total watts. That would allow me to have 3 watts per gal in the middle of the day.

-Wayne

·
Registered
557 Posts
It's a 55 gal tank. Dimensions are 48" x 12" x ~20"

Im tempted to drop the 2 54 watts and get a lower wattage to around 165 total watts. That would allow me to have 3 watts per gal in the middle of the day.

-Wayne
That's pretty much what I do.
3-ish watts per gal.
At least part of the day.
Like you, I go with the mid day full light w/ a smidgen of uv.
But you gotta watch your temps.
Plus, I have variabilis that live in broms, so my guys are not light shy.
:D
Cheers,
Todd

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. The light is one of the nova extremes i believe was the brand i have. It sets up on the 4 little feet to give it space between the tank and lights. It also has a built in fan that goes across the 4 bulbs. Temp's hopefully wont be to big of a problem, but i will definitely monitor them.

-Wayne

That's pretty much what I do.
3-ish watts per gal.
At least part of the day.
Like you, I go with the mid day full light w/ a smidgen of uv.
But you gotta watch your temps.
Plus, I have variabilis that live in broms, so my guys are not light shy.
:D
Cheers,
Todd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts