Dendroboard banner

What do you use to keep the humidity up in your vivarium?

• a misting system

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a humidifier

• other? if so please enlighten me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone has built a vivarium similar to the one in reptiles magazine march 2004 issue it can also be seen at http://www.vanishingjewels.com/Vanishin ... icSys.html , it was built using a oceanic predrilled bowed aquarium.

The reason i ask was
1.there is no sub floor but they is no water feature in the vivarium and it used just the predrilled hole for a drain would that be a good idea? i was worried that the water might accumilate in the corners

2. they use a humidifier instead of a misting system, which is better i've only ever used a misting system and i was wondering if a humidifier could do the trick(they are much cheaper)?

·
Super Moderator
3,653 Posts
I believe that they used styrofoam peanuts as a false bottom, and hid them from view with a gravel facade. There is also a pvc bulkhead about 2" above the floor. And on topic, I've been misting by hand, but with the # of tanks I have, and the # that I intend to get, a misting system is the only way to go. I'll be installing it this week, and posting pics a little later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The humdifier does't work as well as a misting unit, but I have both.
The humdifier won't water the plants, wash poop off, ect. I do run a humidifer on my imitator tank but it's more for my pleasure, and I hand mist that tank, because the misting unit is on the other side of my house.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hand spray my cages, but once my collection gets larger (which it seems to be doing at an almost alarming rate) I'm going to get a misting system installed.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I hand mist, and it only takes a few minutes when using a pump up garden sprayer. I can fit 36 tanks in my frog room, and when I get that many I may change to a misting system. But it is only about a 1/3rd full, plus shoeboxes for froglets. So I dont plan on changing anytime soon. By the way gravel can be used as a drainage layer but due to its weight it isnt widely used. I use foam packing peanuts for the drainage layer on my tanks and they hardly weigh anything. I remember when I used to use gravel, a 20 gallon high with 3 inches of gravel bowed my shelves quite a bit.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I hand mist my tanks and use an under the tank heater, to heat the water in the false bottom which is also recirculated in the waterfall. Humidity stays high as long as I keep the water level lower than the false bottom (where it should be).
I'm going to work on a hand pumped misting system soon.
Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a waterfall, false bottom and I hand mist the plants. My humidity is 93-95%. I only mist to clean and water the plants.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I don't have any humidity systems whatsoever in any of my tanks. I just limit the ventilation the tanks get. They are all either false bottom or LECA about 2" deep, which I keep saturated. The soil is always wet, which keeps the humidity up. The plants I use are hardy and can withstand the limited air exchange. Some of them have water features, some not. If things get too dry, I add water.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I mist by hand, for now. I'm not any good at engineering stuff like misting systems or I wouldn't have to do it by hand. Maybe I could pay someone on the forum to set it up for me. LOL

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
I prefer misting systems, but with only a couple tanks, its easier to hand mist. Hand misting also allows you to slean off the plants and sids of the tanks (moves frog poop to where it will break down), and allows to to flush out any bromeliads you have. Humidifiers don't allow you to do that, and frogs get rainstorms up to a couple times a day, so its good to simulate that in your tanks as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts