Dendroboard banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
G

·
If your going with plexi glass.... I wouldn't put any frogs in it till you left it up there (with the light comin on and off and hte tank being kept humid) for a couple weeks.

I tried using plexi glass (3/8ths inch) for a lid... and it warped so much that there was a good inch or two gap around the edges.

-Tad

· Registered
676 Posts
tad604 said:
If your going with plexi glass.... I wouldn't put any frogs in it till you left it up there (with the light comin on and off and hte tank being kept humid) for a couple weeks.

I tried using plexi glass (3/8ths inch) for a lid... and it warped so much that there was a good inch or two gap around the edges.

-Tad
That's definately a good idea. I used 1/4 thich so it bows more than it warps, but I could see problems with thinner sheets. With the frame on the bottom and the light on top it keeps its shape just fine. I probably wouldn't use anything thinner than 1/4 inch though.

Marcos

· Registered
1,915 Posts
hexen84 said:
Ok I was kinda mistaken about the screen thing and uv light. It is only extremely small gauge screen (really small holes) that blocks the uv rays. hope this helps
I actually think you are right. Window screen can block as much as 50% of the light hitting it. It's just a matter of the ratio of surface area of screen material to that of the open space.

A lot of froggers with large collections make their tops out of aluminum window screen frames with heavy plastic instead of screen. It's really cheap and you can easily adjust the amount of ventilation and make hinged portions wherever you want them.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.