Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best top/lid to use for a 15gallon glass aquarium?
It needs to let the UV rays through, and also keep humidity high.
I have a problem with humidity in my house, too much of it, so I have a dehumidifier going in one room. I would need he vivarium not to raise the humidity in the house. I am guessing some sort of plexi-glass?
Thanks!
-Beeswaxx

G

·
Dont use plexy glass because it will wilt and flies will get out. Go to home depot or any hardware store and get glass cut for the width and length of the aquariums top. Its pretty simple and you can cut a big piece into lots of smaller pieces for other aquariums cheap.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
If you can find solacryl, i would go with that.

Luke

·
Registered
665 Posts
A glass top is the best you can do, it maintains the humidity and prevents escapees. Most of us on this board have had stories of escapes or near escapes with the warping plexi. It is just not worth the risk in my opinion.

rob

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
UV does not pass very well through window glass. To allow UV, a screen portion under the lights will work, as will Solacryl, Acrylite OP-4, and Plexiglas UV-T. Starphire glass may also work, but I'm not too sure of that.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Do the frogs need the uv or the plants? All of my tanks have glass tops with shop lights over them and there have been no problems with plant growth.

rob

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Neither really "need" (at least not like an iguana needs) UV to do pretty well, however there has been theories that the UV is beneficial to the frogs.
If you read the original post, Beeswax specified that he wanted his lid to allow UV.

G

·
I always thought screen blocks uv because it blocks part of the light so less gets in but I could be wrong. You do and you don't need ventalation depends on your tank. Vents will let out alot of your humidity also.

Sorry I could be wrong about screen i will do a little research to see.

G

·
Ok I was kinda mistaken about the screen thing and uv light. It is only extremely small gauge screen (really small holes) that blocks the uv rays. hope this helps

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I've tried both the fiberglass and the metal screen, and the metal lets more visible light through (you can see the difference), so I'm guessing it will allow more UV through as well.
Take this link for some info on UV, including percentages of UVA, and UVB that common materials allow to pass.
http://www.anapsid.org/uvtable.html
Though not entirely ff proof, if there is only the strip under you're light fixture for screen, not many will survive long enough (near the heat of the bulb) to get into you're house.

·
Registered
707 Posts

Don't know if this is helpful, but this is what I did.

1. Got a piece of plexiglass for the light portion of the tank cut to size. Right now it is acrylite FF so it doesn't pass much UV, but I'm going to replace it with OP-4 which should pass almost all the UV once I find somebody who sells less than a whole sheet or some folks who want to split a sheet.

2. Made a frame using window screen frame for the plexiglass to sit on to minimize warping. There is still some warping, but it is minimal and doesn't produce a gap.

3. The front is again window screen frame with regular mesh. I am going to replace it with REI no-see-um mesh once my order arrives.

The whole thing is very snug because I cut the window screen frame 1/8 inch longer than the lip of the aquarium and then filed it by hand little by little to ensure a very tight fit. There is a tiny gap between the front and back panels, but you can barely fit a sheet of paper through it so it is a much smaller of a gap than in the screen.

I like the plexiglas because it is easier to cut, drill, and work with. Not only that, it is practically shatter proof. To get my cord through, I drilled a hole and cut a slot up to the hole from the edge, then I plugged the slot with aquarium tubing.

Cheers,

Marcos

1 - 20 of 27 Posts