Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am casting rocks for use in my backgrounds and need to know what paints would be safe for the frogs and would stand up to the constant humidity of a vivarium? I bought molds at a model railroad store and the cast rocks look great. I just need to paint them to look realistic. I plan on combining them with the weldbond/peat background.

·
Administrator
13,228 Posts
Please post pics, when you are done, I have been looking into this also. I'm not sure on the paint.

Peaceofthetropics said:
I am casting rocks for use in my backgrounds and need to know what paints would be safe for the frogs and would stand up to the constant humidity of a vivarium? I bought molds at a model railroad store and the cast rocks look great. I just need to paint them to look realistic. I plan on combining them with the weldbond/peat background.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Rit Dye Pigment

I would search one of the more popular cichlid sites for exact info. For years malawi and tang keepers have been perfecting rock backgrounds for the interior of their tanks. I unfortunatly never tried any of the methods. (Switched to darts instead :wink: )

If I am not mistaken they used Rit dye pigment. Apparently it is available at Walgreens, Eckerd and maybe Home Depot. This is basically like a powder you can sponge on or maybe airbrush.

Good luck, this sounds interesting.

-Richard

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have killed gold fish when I used a bucket that I tye dyed a T-shirt in using RIT dye. I washed the bucket out thouroughly but it still had a colored tinge. Anyway i had put fish in the bucket to move them they died in 2 days. So id be careful with RIT. Id use food coloring something the FDA allows people to eat before something designed not for consumtion. I wonder what they use in crayons I know kids eat those and don't get sick. Sorry just dont agree with RIT.

Darryl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely will. I have been wanting to do this for quite a while. The molds are only around $7 each, but the casting resin was $40 (2 part mix and releasing agent).

kyle1745 said:
Please post pics, when you are done, I have been looking into this also. I'm not sure on the paint.

Peaceofthetropics said:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Rit Dye Pigment

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to have any links to a couple good cichlid sites?

tuthelimit said:
I would search one of the more popular cichlid sites for exact info. For years malawi and tang keepers have been perfecting rock backgrounds for the interior of their tanks. I unfortunatly never tried any of the methods. (Switched to darts instead :wink: )

If I am not mistaken they used Rit dye pigment. Apparently it is available at Walgreens, Eckerd and maybe Home Depot. This is basically like a powder you can sponge on or maybe airbrush.

Good luck, this sounds interesting.

-Richard

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm. Yeah, I definitely want to be careful. Hopefully someone that has done this will chime in.

frogboy310 said:
I have killed gold fish when I used a bucket that I tye dyed a T-shirt in using RIT dye. I washed the bucket out thouroughly but it still had a colored tinge. Anyway i had put fish in the bucket to move them they died in 2 days. So id be careful with RIT. Id use food coloring something the FDA allows people to eat before something designed not for consumtion. I wonder what they use in crayons I know kids eat those and don't get sick. Sorry just dont agree with RIT.

Darryl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
epoxy enamel

Ken,

You could try an epoxy enamel. They come in a wide range of drab colors and I'm sure you could mix and match to create something realistic. These paints, when cured are completely waterproof and completely non-toxic and food safe.

-Bill J.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Re: Rit Dye Pigment

Peaceofthetropics said:
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to have any links to a couple good cichlid sites?
Sorry, I forgot to link it.

http://www.african.uklinux.net/

I haven't looked at their forum for quite some time. I believe one of the members using the method was 'tangfreak' or 'tangman'. Search both. It would be under either 'tank setup or DIY tank related' I think most of the posts contain the word 'styrofoam' or background or something along those lines.

I will fool with the archives later today and see if I can pull up a more direct link.

HTH
-Richard

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Ken,

Take a look at http://www.aquatic-eco.com They sell Sweetwater Epoxy Paint. This is what alot of the cichlid and plywood tank guys use. Although, I don't know if it comes in colors you may need to get a natural rock feel. It is also quite expensive - $45 a gallon plus hazmat shipping.

Anthony Mazeroll has used it in vivaria. Might want to ask him.

Donn

1 - 10 of 10 Posts