Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to purchase my first vivarium and i'm torn between 18x18x24 and 24x18x18. If you had to choose which would you choose and why? I like the larger floor for the darts since they use the floor more often but I like the taller 18x18x24 for plants. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

For not much more money I can go with 36x18x24 and have the best of both worlds, is it worth it or is that too big for a first vivarium/darts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello there and welcome! I'd like to preface this by saying I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination nor fully qualified to give be-all-end-all advice but there are some solid rules of thumb I have absorbed from months of lurking and collecting information.

An 18 x 18 x 24 would be better suited for semi-arboreal dart frogs such as auratus as they prefer to be higher up in a viv, where primarily ground dwelling frogs such as tincs would prefer the 24 x 18 x 18. This being said, dart frogs will use all vivarium space provided to them (assuming they have proper access) and the general consensus is that bigger is always better. A larger viv simply allows for greater enrichment, especially when considering the size of their natural habitat in the wild.

With all things being equal, and remembering to provide all of the proper husbandry, in my opinion, the 36 x 18 x 24 would be the best choice out of the 3!

Best Regards,
Nate

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I love my 36x18x24" tanks far more than any of my 18x18x24" tanks. The extra floorspace is well used.

That said, 18" tall isn't very tall.

Which size is best will depend on what frogs you're thinking of.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love my 36x18x24" tanks far more than any of my 18x18x24" tanks. The extra floorspace is well used.

That said, 18" tall isn't very tall.

Which size is best will depend on what frogs you're thinking of.
I'm looking at Dendrobates Auratus as I want 4 frogs and I've heard you should only keep Tincs in pairs. I'm really leaning more towards the 36x18x24 but was just worried about it being too large but it seems like it might be exactly what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello there and welcome! I'd like to preface this by saying I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination nor fully qualified to give be-all-end-all advice but there are some solid rules of thumb I have absorbed from months of lurking and collecting information.

An 18 x 18 x 24 would be better suited for semi-arboreal dart frogs such as auratus as they prefer to be higher up in a viv, where primarily ground dwelling frogs such as tincs would prefer the 24 x 18 x 18. This being said, dart frogs will use all vivarium space provided to them (assuming they have proper access) and the general consensus is that bigger is always better. A larger viv simply allows for greater enrichment, especially when considering the size of their natural habitat in the wild.

With all things being equal, and remembering to provide all of the proper husbandry, in my opinion, the 36 x 18 x 24 would be the best choice out of the 3!

Best Regards,
Nate
Awesome, thank you, it's crazy how when I started researching about a month ago I thought I would be fine with a 18x18x18 and now i'm looking at a 36x18x24.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm looking at Dendrobates Auratus as I want 4 frogs and I've heard you should only keep Tincs in pairs. I'm really leaning more towards the 36x18x24 but was just worried about it being too large but it seems like it might be exactly what I'm looking for.
Your auratus will definitely appreciate the larger footprint! Since auratus can be a little shy, this additional space can actually encourage more bold behaviours.

To delve further into the Fishing Guy's response regarding 18" not being very tall. 18" of height, quickly becomes 12" once a false bottom, substrate, and leaf litter are added to the viv. With the 24" height footprint, you can essentially have 18" of workable vertical space which your auratus will make great use of. This extended height will allow you to plant larger plants directly into the background, and give your auratus even more options to explore!

Best Regards,
Nate

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
Awesome, thank you, it's crazy how when I started researching about a month ago I thought I would be fine with a 18x18x18 and now i'm looking at a 36x18x24.
Many of us have gone through this, though it is the fortunate person who figures out the correct viv dimensions before setting up, stocking, and ultimately replacing the smaller one. :)

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Thats the golden size.

·
Registered
46 Posts
While larger vivs can seem like it would be impossible to find your frogs, a larger viv would afford you a better experience of their natural behavior. Especially if it is planted because they would feel more secure and more likely to move around freely feeling secure and thus, bolder around you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good info here. 10 years ago a lot of people were setting up 16" cube tanks or 10 gallon vert aquariums. Things have come a long way since then. =)

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
For tiny frogs and growouts, yes the smaller vivs are still good. But for larger tincs, big auratus and all the big O - go bigger. The bigger tanks need to be 'fed more' as more flies will get lost in the size, That's about the only real consideration

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the great info everyone. My tank, light and stand are all ordered, working on ordering my substrate and plants as it gets a little closer to when my tank arrives. I don't think I'm going to do a water feature for my first one but I would like to ask what is everyone's thoughts on background. Should I attempt a custom background with the foam on my first one or just get a premade one.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Thanks for all the great info everyone. My tank, light and stand are all ordered, working on ordering my substrate and plants as it gets a little closer to when my tank arrives. I don't think I'm going to do a water feature for my first one but I would like to ask what is everyone's thoughts on background. Should I attempt a custom background with the foam on my first one or just get a premade one.
No water feature, great choice.

I do cork bark mosaic backgrounds. They're not costly than a foam background but, in my opinion, look much nicer and hold up better long-term.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No water feature, great choice.

I do cork bark mosaic backgrounds. They're not costly than a foam background but, in my opinion, look much nicer and hold up better long-term.
Do you have any pictures of the cork bark mosaic backgrounds?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Exactly: no waterfeatures

I like to use full cork panels in my builds. They are very budget friendly, plants like em and your not messing around with foam or stuff like that..

Here is the link to a buildreport if it can be of any help to you :

The import thing is to design your build for the frogs species you want to keep in there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts