Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a nice 44 corner that I plan on setting up. I have a pair of baby Red-Eyes currently, but they sleep all day (obviously because they are nocturnal). I don't want to put something in this viv that hides during the day. Doesn't appeal to me. So I though, darts! My roommates have 2 baby D.A.'s (pardon me, I can't spell the scientific names - they are the blue and black ones), and they're the cutest, most active frogs I've ever seen! I love feeding them! Anyway, my issue is that I plan on putting 2 -3 gallons (about 5" high) of water in the front so I can put a few long finned leopard danio and maybe some dwarf platy. There will be a ceramic root ornament allowing any inhabitants of my viv to get out of the water...BUT I don't want to spend $50 on a frog just to have him drown. I really like the mint T ones and the dyeing frog...

Any suggestions/comments?
:D

·
Registered
850 Posts
Many people have rather deep water features in their tanks. This usually isn't a problem provided the frog will be able to climb out easily if he does fall in. If your looking for bold frogs mint terribilis are as bold as they get, tincs are extremely bold also. Mint terribilis would do better in a group set-up like this than tincs though. Hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have frog experience and are dedicated to learning quickly, you might want to go with D. Ventrimaculatus. They will do great in a group and will love the water. Don't worry about the drowning, because the little buggers are fish!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you SO much! You both were a BIG help!

:D

I'm going to the NARBC show up in Philly and hope to get my first dart there (maybe pair). What are D. Ventrimacilatus? I like the D.A.'s, strawberries, bumblebees and mints. How many do you think I could fit in this 44? I'm only going to pick one species, so it all depends on what I find and fall for face to face. I might just go with the mints though because of the 3 different color morphs they come in are only slightly different. Another question, will I have problems keeping multiple males? I know it's not easy to sex them...but I don't want the little buggers to argue!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Mint terribilis, luecs (bumblebees), and auratus (D.A's) will all do good in groups. The three of them are pretty common too, so you should be able to find them. Keep in mind, mint terribilis juveniles start out black and turn white as they mature. At about 8 months old they will have their full coloration. This is a picture of a 4 month old mint.

This is a picture of a three year female.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dude!
I started with Red-eyes too but decided it was sort of a pitty to have such a beutifull frog and never see them!
So, when it came time for me to expand i looked into dart frogs and haven't regretted it. :lol:
I want to build a paladarium (sp.) aswell but I dont think having a big water area is a problem. As long as u dont have big fish that could pick at the frogs if they fell in, and had ways to get out u'll be fine.
Good luck post pics, and if u want maybe we could bounce ideas off eachother.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Why doesn't the term D.A. refer to azureus? They are also blue and black, last time I checked.

Same goes for the snake community, BP stands for ball python...but it could just as well stand for blood, Burmese, or Boelen's pythons.

Bry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts