Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

I'm considering an eventual home-build rack / stand for my vivaria. Currently 2 In Situ tanks, maybe will become 3.

There are some things I've been thinking about
  • Conceal / route wiring for lights and fans
  • Run drainage piping / mistking piping cleanly around
  • Reservoir for water (fresh and separate return)
  • Concealed cabinet for fly cultures, supplies, other things to stay out of the way
  • Maybe a cabinet with fluorescent light on the same timer as the tanks for tadpole rearage?

But I wanted to crowd source key 'tank holder functions and features' from all of y'all. I see things like Troy's Garage on YouTube, and theFrogWall on instagram - are there key "must do this" type things to add to setting up a rack?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would add easily removable covers when hiding wires or lights etc. You will need to service these things and you don't want to literally take it apart to get to vital components.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would add easily removable covers when hiding wires or lights etc. You will need to service these things and you don't want to literally take it apart to get to vital components.
Yes, agreed.. I also feel like the right design conceivably breaks down & moves... In case whoever is buying the house in the future wants to clearly see WITHOUT the frogs... TBC this was also a major design constraint for my chicken coop!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Am I crazy? Thinking about a built in bookshelf with cabinets underneath and room for three vivaria. Anyone seen photos of something like this?

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
Doesn't look crazy, but it does complicate things. Vivs evaporate a large amount of moisture. Not all woodwork is going to tolerate that well.

Relatedly, viv circulation will be impacted (negatively) if the viv is in a recess, and heat from lighting will be retained much more.

Also, vivs do sometimes leak (one of my InSitus leaked right out the box, and I didn't realize it until a few cups of water leaked).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doesn't look crazy, but it does complicate things. Vivs evaporate a large amount of moisture. Not all woodwork is going to tolerate that well.

Relatedly, viv circulation will be impacted (negatively) if the viv is in a recess, and heat from lighting will be retained much more.

Also, vivs do sometimes leak (one of my InSitus leaked right out the box, and I didn't realize it until a few cups of water leaked).
Gotcha - that's a really good design constraint I hadn't thought about. I was considering the potential to leak, but wasn't tracking the evaporation (which makes total sense)... I wonder about a false back and have the in situ fans venting out the back - obviously I don't want to create a mold situation...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts