Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! So my vivarium has been up and running for a couple weeks now everything’s been growing pretty good and frogs have been happy. I have seen some other peoples Viv and realized I never used pots for my plants I used round pieces of cork and filled them with soil, but now I’m wondering do I or should I have put the plants in pots? Also if the plants are in pots do they need to be repotted every couple months? Thanks.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I like to keep plants in pots and on mounts for a few months so I can move the plant around easily until I find a spot where it’s happy, but that’s not necessary. Depending on what type of soil you have used you shouldn’t have to replace it often - ABG is supposed to last around 8 years, and regular potting soil (while it will probably retain too much moisture) should be ok for years with the addition of micronutrient fertilizers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like to keep plants in pots and on mounts for a few months so I can move the plant around easily until I find a spot where it’s happy, but that’s not necessary. Depending on what type of soil you have used you shouldn’t have to replace it often - ABG is supposed to last around 8 years, and regular potting soil (while it will probably retain too much moisture) should be ok for years with the addition of micronutrient fertilizers.
I’m using reptisoil as my soil/substrate mixed with sphagnum and orchid bark, if the plants are in the pots would you have to worry about repotting because there are too many or too big of roots at all? And what are you using/how are you mounting the plants? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,451 Posts
I’m using reptisoil as my soil/substrate mixed with sphagnum and orchid bark, if the plants are in the pots would you have to worry about repotting because there are too many or too big of roots at all? And what are you using/how are you mounting the plants? Thanks.
Reptisoil holds a ton of water. I would recommend using an ABG style substrate instead.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I like to keep plants in pots and on mounts for a few months so I can move the plant around easily until I find a spot where it’s happy, but that’s not necessary.
Not necessary, but it's a good idea.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yeah, plants can get pot-bound but that’s not necessarily a bad thing, if they tend to be large or unruly then limiting their root system will limit their growth, like bonsai.

I grow a lot of orchids, which are true epiphytes and tend to arrive mounted on twigs or cedar slats with a little dead sphagnum moss, but how you’ll want to mount a plant depends on whether it’s an epiphyte or not. Some plants can grow on the background with a small pocket of soil, some can root into sphagnum and grow like that even if they aren’t technically epiphytic, and some will want to grow straight on bark with no sphagnum (depending on how wet your conditions are).

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
I only have one very simple draining sub system with "free range" pothos (for a single imitator) and my other animals, who are dryer, including my other anurans sp, who are 'dryer' have plants in pots and cork rounds with terra plates under them.

I work the pots with rock ledges and cork structures that fit hugging around them to integrate with the other formations in the env. Im surprised the lizards havent dug up the plants yet.

On a tangential i am interested in isopods and springtails for viv scav, have cultured springs before for a feeding purpose but the only terra fauna (sorry i just cant bring myself to say "bioactive") i use presently are a few count dubia roaches. I switch them out for smaller ones every few months. They are predictable and easy to trap-locate. Im sure, actually positive there are a couple 'feral' adults hiding out but they dont bother anyone.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Please forgive this brief derail. I cany help but share this..
Though I only feed out juvenile dubia i continue to be charmed by them. The ones who have grown out forage nocturnally and scrub the omnivore lizards dishes clean of stuck fruit residue, making it easier to sanitize them in the AM. The babies are attracted to the bacteria of stool, protein seeking i speculate. Still the lizards must be picked up after and urate marked slates must be scrubbed as they eliminate more than I would depend on with a hands off approach to care. I dont mind though. Im an exotics stool technician lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts