Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did a thread search and found several threads on techniques for macro and frog photography, but not as much for photographing the entire vivarium. Many members have posted some incredibly beautiful shots of their vivs. I'm sure some of that is attributed to the fact that the vivs are just beautiful, but capturing it properly still takes skill. Does anyone have any thoughts or tips on the best technique to photograph a whole vivarium?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think lighting is the most important part. Darkish room with viv lights on. At least draw the blinds. High ISO using a tripod and remote or shutter delay. My camera does particularly well indoors with low light.

For some reason this photo is my favorite and it's even in a few magazines for some silly reason :D TBQH this photo sucks and I have no idea what I'm doing. I rarely photograph entire vivariums.

·
Registered
221 Posts
This isn't that difficult. Use a tripod. Set your camera properly obviously ISO, shutter speed, f stop. You can play around with higher f-stop for more depth of field. I sometimes use a polarizer to get rid of glare from lights and bring out greens although this makes the shot significantly darker and you will have to compensate with higher ISO, lower shutter speed etc. If you are using lower shutter speed use the timer on the camera to minimize shake. Try different angles and exposures and see what looks best. You can always make adjustments in an editing software I use photoshop but something much more simple like iphoto works too.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thank you both for the suggestions. Port-that photo is beautiful!
Nah it's really not :D I think I like it because it isn't just another perfectly framed, straight from the front shot. All the other full viv photos I've taken have been stickily for utility and I put a tiny bit of effort and thought into that one because I knew it would be printed. My very first vivarium actually and quite an old photo.

I think I might try for some new ones now that I have expanded, so thanks for the motivation!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts