Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running two 17 watt, screw-in flourescent bulbs over my viv. I have been measuring the temperature, and it's stayed consistently at 84-86 degrees in certain areas throughout the viv. I know this is a bit warm for azureus. How would I decrease the temperature? The viv is currently located in my snake room, and the temperature in that room is roughly 77 degrees. I want to decrease the heat a few degrees, without sacrificing too much brightness for the plants. Should I go with a CF fixture, or a shoplight hanging above the viv? Any help is appreciated.

Bry

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have a setup where i use the same type of lights and found the easiest way for me to decrease the temp was to get two wooden blocks and support the lights 4 inches above the lid, which really seemed to help.

What kelvin rating are your bulbs? I could only find the 2700k lights around town and had to order some 6500k over the internet.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got mine from Home Depot. It's a product called Ott-Lite. The Kelvin rating isn't labeled on their boxes. But, from what I found out on the internet, their bulbs are between 5300-5800k. So, mine is somewhere in that range.

I'll have to try the wooden board idea. CUrrently, the foam rings I use to support the light domes are about 1 1/2-2" thick, but it keeps the bulb about 1" off the lid.

Bry

·
Registered
793 Posts
Ahh, mine works a little differently as I have both of the lights in a reflector i got at Petsmart. Maybe the wood wouldn't work as well with the lamps.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
If you're looking for a little better look, instead of using pieces of wooden board, the kind of terra cotta feet they sell for large ceramic pots work well also.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update: vivarium heat

I went and got some 4x4 pieces of wooden board and raised up the lights. It seems much better so far. The temps in the viv are now around 76-78.

Bry

G

·
I think I mentioned this somewhere else, but go to staples and get aligator clips

Clip 3 of these thingys on the fixture, spaced evenly, and flip the leg inside the lamp down. The large ones will hold the fixture up about 3/4". Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts