Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am building a vivarium and the only thing i haven't figured out yet is what material I should use for my duct work. Just like Justin Grimm I am going to put the duct work in the background.

I know Grimm made it out of plasticard, but that is not available in the Netherlands. So my question is: What material can I use. We have got aluminum plating but that is too difficult to work with, and sturdy cardboard may get wet because of the high humidity.
-Rens

·
Registered
48 Posts
I found this stuff at Home depot. Its a little on the expensive side seeing as how it is pretty much just a plastic cardboard. I don't know where in the Netherlands this could be found but some of the company names are Coroplast, Plaskolite. Possibly a local sign company might have some in stock because it is often used for making weather proof lawn signs. If that doesn't work you could use some acrylic to do a similar thing, it would be costly but it should work.

Hope this helps,
The Wolfe

·
Registered
106 Posts
Egg crate is just one form of light-diffusing panel. A lot of them that I've found are just different variations of really thin plastic sheeting.
Maybe check the lighting section at a hardware store & see if they've got any sort of light-diffusing panel?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Corrugated plastic sheets - Dipack®

It appears this is a European manufacturer of the same/ similar product. A plastics supplier will definitely have it available or almost any sign and graphics shop will have it on hand (it's used to make cheap weather proof signs)

You are probably looking for 4mm thickness and in an ideal world black (but sign shops mostly use white). The thinner stuff is very flimsy and the thicker stuff quickly get a bit awkward to work with (6mm thick is fine though)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I purchased full sheets of Coroplast from a local picture framing and art supply shop (4 ft x 8 ft) for less than $30. I have used it for building some substructures where I wanted to allow air/water to pass through. The corrugated part can also act as small tubes to channel air or drain water (if you do not need large volumes, such as a drain for a plant in an expanding foam background).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts