Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm volunteering at a public park nearby, and I approached them about writing up a proposal of sorts to get funding to build a vivarium display for their visitor center. This park is all about art and the environment, so this kind of thing would fit right in to their mission. The arts director seemed very excited about the idea, and she thinks it could possibly work. I just have to write up a proposal with a few sketches and see what happens! So now I'm trying to think more about the setup and solidify my ideas. Since you guys are all vivarium building geniuses, I thought I'd post on here for ideas. :) At first I was thinking it would house some dart frogs, but now I'm wondering if a native species might be a better choice at a place like this (and I live in Minnesota). I'm thinking Gray Tree Frogs might be the most interesting. What I will probably do is write up a proposal with a few different options; so one option could be using dart frogs, and the other option could be with a native species. (It is possible that they'll want this to be a plants-only tank though, because they might not want to mess with feeding the animal inhabitants). Then they can decide which they prefer. Anyways, if it were a native species (Gray Tree Frog for example), what kinds of things would I have to consider in designing the setup? I know that native plants are pretty much not possible since they will require a cooler, dormant period. But maybe there are certain plants that could mimic native plants well? These are just some things going through my head in relation to this project, so feel free to either comment on thing I said, or bring up ideas of your own. All input is appreciated!

Actually the more I think about it, the more I realize that pdf's are probably out of the picture... it would be necessary for them to culture the fruit flies, and I don't think they'd want that responsibility. So probably a species that doesn't require much daily care, and for which food is easily and cheaply acquired. Any other suggestions on what animal species would work well is welcome too.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think that you are on the right track with a native species. While the chosen species may not be as interesting as PDF's, more of the public would identify with something from your state.

My wife and attended the local fair recently. TN Wildlife (aka Fish and Game)had a number of local animals there including 2 local species of frogs. The tank drew a tremendous amount of attention. Further, many people stopped to read about the importanece of amphibians in the state.

I can't recommend any species for your area. Just wanted to pass on a high-five and wish you luck.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Greetings from another MN resident! Good luck on your project, hopefully it works out for you.

Here's a few frogs/habitats to consider.

Woodland: Wood frog, gray tree frog, spring peeper

Lakes and Streams: Pickerel, Green, or Mink frog

Grasslands: Northern Leopard, Cope's Grey, or Boreal Chorus Frog. If you're lucky enough to find one, keep an eye out for a cool Northern Leopard frog morph we have here called the Burnsi morph. They're patternless and not all that common.

Mink frogs would be cool if you set up a paludarium, they're the ones often seen sitting on/under/around lilly pads during summer. Pickerel frogs could work as well, as you could set up a wet area and a wooded style area not to different from what we do with darts...leaf litter, ferns, etc...make sure to give them the option of cool water though. Wood frogs could possibly work as well, as they're found far from water during the summer, and breed in vernal pools.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Edit: If you're interested in the different calls these frogs produce, here's a website from the PCA that has a good number of MN frog calls:
http://www.pca.state.mn.us/index.ph...ids/frogs-for-kids.html?menuid=819&redirect=1

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I think you should go with plants only. I offered to do a build for my daughters class room. You have to relize some ppl are ignorant, and might think the Darts are poisonous. A lot of care goes into these guys. I would suggest some type of simple tree frogs, maybe just the Green ones. I would say do a 20 or 30 with a water feature if you arent putting any animals in there. If the tank is empty I think it should have something to catch the eye and a water feature will do the trick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts