Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, thought I'd start another vivarium discussion thread.

This is my 18x18x24" exo terra tank for my 0.0.3 Ranitomeya amazonica "Iquitos"

It has a glass top with a 2" ventilation strip, LECA false bottom, ABG style substrate, layers of Magnolia leaf litter, bell cups as hiding places at the bottom.

Plants are:
Peperomia obtusifolia
Begonia glabra
Generic pothos
Neoregalia bromeliads

The frogs seem to really enjoy the piece of cork at the back middle section, using it their main roosting place along with the bromeliads that are mounted on it. (You can see one of the frogs hanging out there in one of the pictures)

One change I'm planning to make is to do some work on the cork bark that's mounted to the wall, make the edges less straight.

Thoughts? I'm not planning much in the way of changes as these frogs are just getting a little more bold so I don't want to upset that progress.

·
Registered
387 Posts
This tank looks good and will fill in nicely.

The cork bark you're talking about I'm guessing is the round on the left? If so, you might want to slowly carve away with it with a set of Xacto knives. Be careful and watch your thumbs if you carve it like some cut apples. Only other thought is remove it and split it in two at a 45 degree angle and mount them to the sides so you can stuff it with sphagnum and plant things in them.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This tank looks good and will fill in nicely.

The cork bark you're talking about I'm guessing is the round on the left? If so, you might want to slowly carve away with it with a set of Xacto knives. Be careful and watch your thumbs if you carve it like some cut apples. Only other thought is remove it and split it in two at a 45 degree angle and mount them to the sides so you can stuff it with sphagnum and plant things in them.
Thank you :)
That is the one I'm talking about :). That pretty much is my plan to make it look less unnatural.

·
Super Moderator
2,692 Posts
Looks good, though it really calls out for more horizontal elements like in some of your other vivs. Really, I'm starting to think that all a good viv needs is horizontal elements, and lots of leaf litter -- that's all. :D

I've irregularized cork edges by taking smallish bites out of the edge using a pliers. I toss those little bites into the substrate.

·
Super Moderator
2,695 Posts
I find it profoundly lacking in ramps AND ledges, FG. My expectations in this category have not been met! :D

The only real comment I have is that, given who lives in there, some branches up into the negative space at the front my be a good addition. The plants look great. I used to have a bunch of that Peperomia next to the brom at the top but I lost it to a massive oak-leaved ficus incursion that happened seemingly overnight...

Good work!

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts