Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am trying to build a new vivarium. I have some glass to use. I was planning on making the background using great stuff, silicone and coco fiber, then planting it. If the back is going to be covered with great stuff, then sealed with silicone, it will never see any water right? So, because the back pannel will always be dry, do I need to use glass or can I just use regular plywood (without epoxy) for the back pannels?

Thanks!
~Aaron

G

·
I recomend you read the vivarium journal at poison-frogs.com. Marc did something similar to what you're describing and he sealed the plywood despite the fact that little to no water would seep thru the background. You probably would want to also because chances are you wont get a water-tight seal with the silicone.
-David

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think that relying on the great stuff and silicon mixture to seal the entire back maybe not as easy as it sounds. Though it is possible, you might just not want to risk it. If the wood doesn't get sealed on the bottom completely, water may accumulate rot the wood. Of course I'm sure that if you're very careful, you may do this perfectly the first time.

With using a wooden backpanel, a better option maybe to cover the wooden panel with pond lining first.

just my 2cents

thanks

bluetip

G

·
For my wood background i did the following:

I covered the ENTIRE wood back with silicone. Note this is not the same layer that is over the great stuff. If you have ever done any drywall it was kind of like that. You do have to work really quick as the silicone gets a film over it. If you cannot cover the entire area in one swoop work in sections , being careful to not have any seams where water could come in contact with it.

I then used thin acrylic over the silicone. This covered the bottom 6 inches, the part that is in contact with the false bottom.

I then continued as usual with the great stuff/silicone/coco over this. I have had no problems with leakage.

I think i have some pictures. Ill try to post them later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts