Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With some of the other topics going on right now I wanted to know what people feel is a good tank size for their frogs. I have my own feelings, and will chime in later. I just want to see what how most people feel.

Edit: to clarify the question and removed poll

This is for all types and any number of frogs. I removed the poll because it didn't really fit. I pose this question to see how most people are keeping their frogs. Overall I feel we are keeping frogs in very small areas and maybe overcrowed. I guess I am looking at the 5 gallon per frog rule that we tell people to follow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the old post of 5 1/2 gallon tanks for thumbnails being commented on again it has me wondering small of tanks people are trying to use.
I had a pair of imitator in a 10 gal vert tank, and when I moved them into a 20 gallon vert, it was like I flipped a switch. They became much more active and gained weight. Now yesterday I was chatting with a fellow member and she said her auratus breed better in 10 gallon tanks than they do in bigger tanks. I had never really thought about it, but mine have only breed when I had them in a 10 gallon, they stopped when I moved them into a 20 long, and still haven't done anything since I moved them into a 29 gallon (granted I am not trying to breed them either)

This just had me thinking of what size tanks people are having more success with. I have tanks ranging from 10 gallons to 75 gallons, and finding that I enjoy watch the frogs in a bigger tank more, because the frogs are more active.

·
Registered
370 Posts
When I had only one pair of auratus in my 135, they bred quite regularly (without effort on my part). I now keep 12 in there and wouldn't feel comfortable with more then 15 in the group. But I maybe the odd man out here, in that I shoot for closer to 10 gallons a frog.

With the last three auratus I added to the group, I kept them in a densly planted 20 long for QT. Over the period of about 2 1/2 weeks I saw them each once, maybe twice. After moving them to the 135 they are completely different frogs; they are out and active over the entire tank. Like Ben said it was like flipping a switch.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have 4 D. auratus in a 55 gal. (they're 2 mo.) They seem to like the room and I couldn't see them being in a smaller tank. They all feed quite well, 2 of them more bold then the other 2.
Mike

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Bgreen said:
This just had me thinking of what size tanks people are having more success with. I have tanks ranging from 10 gallons to 75 gallons, and finding that I enjoy watch the frogs in a bigger tank more, because the frogs are more active.
Well, you've seen the 30g tank that mine breed in. My opinion is that the optimum would be to give each frog a cubic meter of space. Obviously not realistic without a green house or similar. But I think bigger is almost always better for a number of reasons. But of course there are two really be downsides to big vivs. You have to make sure you keep enough food in the big vivs (although they also provide ballast that lets them last longer between feedings), and they aren't always practicle.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
as a general rule...

I know this doesn't cover all our frogs, but here are the 3 main groups.

Tincs - at least 10G per frog. Our 'standard' breeding tank is a 20G high.
Thumbnails - at least 5 gallon per frog
Auratus - at least 5 gallons per from but have a few groups at 10 gallons per frog.

I have 2 sets of auratus in 20H and 2 sets in 10G and the 10G groups are more productive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would I be wrong in thinking the larger the vivarrium the possibly that the gallon per frog ration might go down a little? or would it go up b/c they tend to use a lot fo the same space?

Also I have 4 vents in a 15 gallon High Aquarium, is this too crowded? Relatively speaking they seem to have lots of space.
I have 3 tincs in 29g and it barely seems like enough room. I have an aurotania in a 5.5g and it seems like there would be plenty of room for one more in there (Auro's seem pretty small or is mine just a runt?)

-Tad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tad604 said:
Would I be wrong in thinking the larger the vivarrium the possibly that the gallon per frog ration might go down a little? or would it go up b/c they tend to use a lot fo the same space?

Also I have 4 vents in a 15 gallon High Aquarium, is this too crowded? Relatively speaking they seem to have lots of space.
I have 3 tincs in 29g and it barely seems like enough room. I have an aurotania in a 5.5g and it seems like there would be plenty of room for one more in there (Auro's seem pretty small or is mine just a runt?)

-Tad
The gallon per frog rule is a little misleading.
I could build a tank with a 12"wide x 12" long x 48"tall = 30 gallons
Or I could build a tank 12" wide x 24" long x 24" tall = 30 gallons
Tincs, auratus etc need tank 2 over tank 1, but imitator may prefer tank 1.
But with going by the Gallon per frog rule, I try to make that a minimum and follow it for all my tanks.
The reason I am asking this question is because I want to see what kind of breeding results, and behavioral differences people are noticing when they change the tank size and numbers of individuals per tank. One thing that also needs to be looked at is how the tank is set up. Land area vs water area, density of plant matter, humidity levels, number of structural hiding spots, etc.

You are keeping your frogs more crowded than I prefer, but know a lot of people that keep them in about the same amount of space. Aurotaenia are about the same size as vittatus, and I keep my pair in a 29 gallon. Depending on the type you have and sex it should range between 24-34mm long.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My auro is mayb 10-12 months old and looks to be a little over an inch long,
2.4-3.4 cm's. So I'm guessing mine is on the larger size? I've not heard a peep, so should I assume thats a female? I *rarely* if ever see it climb. If I can get anymore and have a small colony I'll most likely keep them in a 20 Long. My vents are probably about 3.5-4.5 months old so they may not be fullgrown, but still the 15g seems huge compared to them.

-Tad

·
Registered
545 Posts
This post is hard to comment on because a frog will also use vertical space if it is provided. For example you can take a 20g tall tank and if you have layers in it, you increase the "floor space" enough so that you could probably keep frogs that would usually fight in larger groups. If you used vivarium mortar you can create pillars to support upper "levels" of a vivarium and the frogs will use the space provided they can access it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts