Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I was looking for some suggestions/ideas/recommendations for a vivarium setup for O. pumilio. My enclosure is 18x18x18 with a clay substrate and a cork tile background. I've purchased 2 guzmania broms and a selaginella fern to go inside. Any recommendations on what else and how to set it up? I've seen so many great vivariums here and I'd love to make one of my own.
Thank you in advance!

·
Administrator
5,039 Posts
Odd you didn't get replies. :(

I would start with looking at some threads like these:

They should give you a general idea (not implying you don't have a general idea, of course), and then you can post specific questions about details.

This is a go-to thread for me when I want to figure out what a frog might expect out of its immediate environment:

Not that we should just blindly reproduce some 2 square feet of rainforest, but when I look at these pics and videos I get a feel for how different this landscape is than, say, the vivs in YouTube videos. Also, I go there when I want to see lots of glorious leaf litter. ;)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hello!
I was looking for some suggestions/ideas/recommendations for a vivarium setup for O. pumilio. My enclosure is 18x18x18 with a clay substrate and a cork tile background. I've purchased 2 guzmania broms and a selaginella fern to go inside. Any recommendations on what else and how to set it up? I've seen so many great vivariums here and I'd love to make one of my own.
Thank you in advance!
Also sorry I missed this post. Anyway some easy things to do is 1) make sure your substrate is slanted (adds more surface area) and 2) add driftwood branches. The branches should be at least 1 inch in diameter for the frogs to use happily but adding branches to tanks to fill up a lot of the empty space in the middle of the tank is the easiest way to increase usable frog area and maintain a natural and interesting tank.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Odd you didn't get replies. :(

I would start with looking at some threads like these:

They should give you a general idea (not implying you don't have a general idea, of course), and then you can post specific questions about details.

This is a go-to thread for me when I want to figure out what a frog might expect out of its immediate environment:

Not that we should just blindly reproduce some 2 square feet of rainforest, but when I look at these pics and videos I get a feel for how different this landscape is than, say, the vivs in YouTube videos. Also, I go there when I want to see lots of glorious leaf litter. ;)
Thank you so much for these resources! I'll check them out and try to get a good idea of what I'm going for. I feel like I have a few different ideas, but making them cohesive and an attractive tank is the struggle. Thank you again!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also sorry I missed this post. Anyway some easy things to do is 1) make sure your substrate is slanted (adds more surface area) and 2) add driftwood branches. The branches should be at least 1 inch in diameter for the frogs to use happily but adding branches to tanks to fill up a lot of the empty space in the middle of the tank is the easiest way to increase usable frog area and maintain a natural and interesting tank.
Thank you for the ideas! I hadn't thought of doing slanted substrate, but that makes a lot of sense. I've got a little driftwood in there currently, but I think I may try adding another branch (or few). Thank you again! :)

·
Registered
Frogs
1,674 Posts
Go over to Facebook or MEWE. There are 1000's of people active there. You'll get much more feedback.
That is probably the worst advice to give ever since everyone on facebook has a different opinion and 90% of the time have zero experience with the subject.

You might not get a 1000 replies on topics here, but most advice here is given by experts on the mather or subject..

·
Administrator
5,039 Posts
Go over to Facebook or MEWE. There are 1000's of people active there. You'll get much more feedback.
While we will often direct folks to another resource for specific questions that are outside the scope of DB's core area, general redirects like this one are best skipped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.