Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed some pale growth on a couple plants in my viv. At first I thought they were bleaching from the lights (2 joshs frogs led, 1 exo terra daylight, rarely all 3 at once) but now I think it might be a nutrient deficiency. A while ago, lets guess a month, I moved the snake plant into my other viv because it had pale growth. It is recovering from the move and hasn't had any new leaves pop yet. I moved this lemon ginger cutting into its spot and now that it has rooted the new leaves are pale. I'm not sure if this is a normal thing or a deficiency. There is a gradient from light to dark as the few new leaves have aged. The new leaves are striking, but not what I've seen described as dark green foliage everywhere online.

The next plant, a petite peace lily, has been growing well but pale leaves yet again.

They are growing next to a piece of mopani. When I was first starting out with the viv, I would add dirty fish water with a pipette to the base of the plants, but stopped at some point after the frogs were introduced. Today I collected frog poop and placed it near the base of the plants, and watered a bit (not compost tea, frog poop tea). Any ideas on what might be causing the pale growth, or am I once again worried about nothing?

·
Registered
387 Posts
New shoots tend to be lighter on some species. For the Peace Lily though, I'm finding it a bit odd too. Per what I've read a few members here are fertilizing their vivs (even with frogs) using Aquarium ferts. Before making that jump I'd consider using some water from an aquarium filter when you clean it. The mulm should provide a nice source of NPK. I would only maybe start by using this method twice a month just to see progress, if you see an progress in overall color then I'd keep at that. If you see minimal progress I'd maybe bump it to a weekly dose. The only caveat to this is if you have a water feature as I would skip this process and go with a diluted NPK solution from someone like NilocG or Glosso factory. I would steer clear of house plant ferts.

As I'm not familiar with your overall scape I'm not sure if this other option would work, but it's something I've used on Crested Gecko Vivs. For plants that depleted NPK often I took an off the shelf bag of ABG mix and added organic earth worm castings to it. The recipe I followed was a given off the shelf volume of ABG and adding 1/4 by volume earth worm castings to it. Annually, I would go through and remove the custom ABG (let's call it ABGE due to the earthworm castings) from around those plants and go back and add new ABGE to it. My only concern would be how earthworm castings do in a more damp environment like a Dart Viv. Even though the substrate shouldn't be super saturated with water, it will always be more damp.

·
Super Moderator
2,682 Posts
I keep a bottle full of premixed 15-5-15 Cal Mag fertilizer in my reptile room; if I suspect any plants of needing nutrients, I give them a squirt. I don't fill broms in frog vivs with it, or course, but for root zone fertilization there isn't any reason not to use a chemical fertilizer to see if the issue is nutrient related.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I keep a bottle full of premixed 15-5-15 Cal Mag fertilizer in my reptile room; if I suspect any plants of needing nutrients, I give them a squirt. I don't fill broms in frog vivs with it, or course, but for root zone fertilization there isn't any reason not to use a chemical fertilizer to see if the issue is nutrient related.
Do you premix to the bottles recommendations? I figure with the sensitive nature of frogs skin there would be a chance of chemical burns, no?

·
Super Moderator
2,682 Posts
Yes, I mix per the directions. I don't spray the frogs. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts