Dendroboard banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 2 beautiful Super Tiger Legged Monkey Treefrogs this weekend. Converted my plant clipping tank to their new home. It's an 18" Zoomed cube.

I took off the top screen and had glass cut to fit the large, center area. Behind and in front of the glass I put in screen (3" strip behind and 4" strip in front). Currently, the temp is 74 and the humidity is 54. There is a 2 percent UVB light angled in through the front screen.

There's a small pond. I'll have philodendron arching over it, but, at the moment they are sleeping on it. :p

The vines need to grow in. For now, there is a large brom they can hide and sleep in.

Please let me know what you think and what I should change around.

100_0680.jpg

100_0681.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
The only advice I can offer is give them climbing room. I am setting up a 29 vert for my two with a ton of kiwi vine and some strong plants(forgot the name). They are great climbers and awesome frogs to watch. Btw I baught mine from novy(kermit iirc), top notch.

R. Imitator 'nominant', R. Imitator 'intermedius', P. Terribillis, D. Leucomela, P. Tomopterna, H. Cinera

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gray green stuff. Hmmm. Well there are some small clumps of begonias that are sort of gray green. Small. Is that what you're looking at? Oh! Maybe it's my pond wall? Gray clay and green java moss.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I would definately add branches(lots) that they can wrap their hands around.Mine are full of twiggy branches with a peace lilly as their plant.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bill. I have a maple tree that got hit by lightening. Big chunk of it is lying in my yard, with lots of branches. I'll see what I can pull off of there.

I added the faux vine and the philodendron. I think I'll move that vine around in the morning. Just checked on them and one was chilling next to the pond and the other was sitting on top of the wood piece on the left. Tossed in a few dusted crickets.

Oh btw, I hate crickets! Opened the container and they poured out all over the room like a fountain, lol.

100_0690.jpg

100_0691.jpg

100_0695.jpg

100_0696.jpg

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The best plants for P. tomopterna are spathiphyllum and aglanoema. The broad leaves make them feel much more secure, thus you see them more often. They also appreciate branches/vines that they can climb on (and its awesome to watch them walk along them). Another thing that mine liked was a cork tube. They would spend lots of time in it and I feel like it is a great way to reduce stress. In my experience they are not very aggresive feeders, so bowl-feeding may be something to consider. You may want to consider changing the substrate to a mix of coco and sphag, the cypress could impale them (not likely, but possible). They are awesome frogs with tons of personality, I know you will enjoy them. My favorite was an imported male that I had for 5 years...here he is.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would definitely put in another broad leaf plant to make them feel a little more secure. The humidity should be higher while still being ventilated. Their care is similar to a red eyed tree frog. And just make sure they always have clean water and your good. I got mine from Mike Novy too, and they have been very hardy and active the entire time. I don't have a favorite frog, but if I did these guys might be it. :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stay tuned for Viv2.

I got some sturdy climbing plants (they already trashed my pretty plants, in one night, lol). Cut some thin, good climbing, maple branches. Got some maple leaves to cover the cypress mulch.

Got the wood baking and the leaves boiling, so they get to sleep a little while longer before I roust them from their beds for the extreme makeover. :p

Temps stay around 75 with the lights on and drop to 72 with lights off. I have a halogen light I can add if the daytime temps are too low. Humidity is 50-57 during the day and up to 74 last night when I lightly misted. That sound ok?

Anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, everyone, for the input. Here is my second try. If these branches are too small or not branchy enough, let me know. I have more outside.

100_0711.jpg

100_0712.jpg

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Looking good. Careful with that diffenbachia, the sap is noxious (I learned the hard way). Alganoema is a safe alternative with sturdier leaves. They also seem to prefer densely planted tanks. Here's an example:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
You may be ok with it in there, especially since the tomos are lighter. What happened to me was my Polypedates dennysi's would break off the leaves then get the sap on them. At first I thought they were shedding, but I couldn't see any skin and they definitely weren't eating any. Then I got some of the sap on me and realized that it itched/burned, so I'm sure it felt wonderful on their sensitive skin. So just keep an eye on them and be aware that it could happen. They are beautiful frogs by the way, I love how the cb ones are more bluish, looks awesome.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info, Field. I did a quick search on the plant and decided that it's not worth the risk. 4 bucks for a plant vs the comfort of 2 beautiful little frogs. The plants have already been tossed :D

Now that I've gotten all excited about their viv and sort of know what they need, I'm going to redo a 26g bow front that I have and move them into there. It's more of a showcase tank and these are definitely showcase frogs. :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nice choice of plants. They look more at home now. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts