Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

this tank is still under construction. It's 36"x18"x30" (LxWxH), with air ducts in front and at the back. The front of my tank is a separated piece of glass that I just put in place. It does not have any hinges or aluminum railings.

Im still having trouble with the background. Putting those cocodust on the background is not easy!

As you can see, there are still black areas which I hope to completely cover soon. Am doing them one part at a time.

thanks

bluetip

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they're driftwood but I don't know what kind they are. I've been using them in my fish tank and pond for over 10 years so I know they won't rot or anything.

bluetip

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys,

I don't think its the same piece of wood...At least the texture doesn't seem to be right. I am from the Philippines so I guess we have a bunch of other tropical stuff here that may not be available to you guys.

bluetip

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys,

I don't think its the same piece of wood...At least the texture doesn't seem to be right. I am from the Philippines so I guess we have a bunch of other tropical stuff here that may not be available to you guys.

bluetip

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Bluetip,

Kamusta ka

The viv looks nice! Maganda is the word that comes to mind...lol.

Justin

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ey justin,

thanks for the compliment. I shall be posting more pics soon as I get to do the improvements on the tank! I just bought me tons of tillandsias, broms and other epiphytes. Man, those tanks from frogland.nl sure makes me drool...they're really beautiful and I am trying to the best of my abilities to pattern it after them.

Experiences with working with the foam, silicon and coco bedding background, the foam part is easy. The hard part is the silicon and the coco bedding.

1. If you can not find black silicon, make sure to first paint the foam with your desired color. Latex paint would be the good option. After which, make sure to cover it with silicon. Latex paint is water based and it won't last long without any shelter from the high humidity requirements of the tanks.

2. Also, its better to paint it first or try to roughen up the foam surface. coco bedding DOES NOT STICK WELL to the foam surface with using just silicone.

thanks

bluetip

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry guys, just going to try Ryan's instructions of posting the pic...hope this works.

G

·
Sorry dude but it didn't. Ure tank is looking good.

Also, its better to paint it first or try to roughen up the foam surface. coco bedding DOES NOT STICK WELL to the foam surface with using just silicone.
Ure totally right my silicone kept falling of the great stuff. It think u need to use some sand paper to tear that smooth surface that cures on the outside, but by doing this the great stuff is no longer impervious to water. [/url]

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Updated Pics

Hi Guys,

here are more construction pics.

See the piping for the water features. Also, I've started adding vines and have siliconed them into place. I intend to places some epiphytic vines here to form some form of a drape over the entire viv.

here is the pipe at the bottom of the tank where the power head will be plugged.

G

·
Where did u get those vines they look great! :)

I assume they are real, how bout u send me some like that ill pay shipping how much can it be from the phillipeans and they dont way much (i hope) :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi guys,

I wouldn't mind shipping them over but I think you have to try to consolidate your orders because shipping is going to be expensive!

They're really light, all dried up. Takes the hassle out of making any fake ones :D and with our conversion rate, you could easily get tons really cheap!

Where did u get those vines they look great!

I assume they are real, how bout u send me some like that ill pay shipping how much can it be from the phillipeans and they dont way much (i hope)

I tried opening an account at photobucket and they said they were temporarily upgrading so they could not make free accounts :(

I don't think snapfish allows linking to the pics. You'll have to copy and paste into the browser.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts