Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just asking a quick question. I have been wondering about the toxicity level of P. vittatus, as there are a few contradicting sources. UE says that they are slightly more toxic than a leucomelas; a few frog books say they are a bit less toxic than an aurotaenia which would make them in the top 5 for toxicity. Does anyone know which is right?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Just a guess....since they are a Phyllobates it stands to reason they are close in toxicity to other Phyllobates species, which would support your second theory.
Not necessarily. They live quite a ways away from the Colombian species and aren't eating the same insects.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Just asking a quick question. I have been wondering about the toxicity level of P. vittatus, as there are a few contradicting sources. UE says that they are slightly more toxic than a leucomelas; a few frog books say they are a bit less toxic than an aurotaenia which would make them in the top 5 for toxicity. Does anyone know which is right?
Unless you are dealing with WC specimens(which I believe is illegal) these will be lacking in virulent toxins. However, if this is a question for study/curiousity, than I would say that, in nature, I believe them to be more comparable to D. leucomela toxins than P. aurotaenia, or to a further degree, P. bicolor or P. terribilis.

JBear

1 - 4 of 4 Posts