Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have finally decided on purchasing some P.Vittatus darts after realizing they would be the best option for my tank. Just wanted to know some of you guys personal experience with keeping, sexing ,breeding, feeding & raising your tads. How many u have in your viv & aggression issues if any. For the people who were telling me just do research, I have been. Sometimes everything in books & on Google can be wrong. THIS IS FOR MEMBERS WITH PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH VITTATUS ONLY.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have never had vittatus but I just wanted to point out that if you haven't already started to culture FF's, start... Get a few months practice in so you are ready when you get your frogs. Good luck with your vittatus!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
THIS IS FOR MEMBERS WITH PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH VITTATUS ONLY.
I have never had vittatus but I just wanted to point out that if you haven't already started to culture FF's, start... Get a few months practice in so you are ready when you get your frogs. Good luck with your vittatus!
To the Boldface, LMAO!

I keep a 1.1.2 group of P. vittatus. They are a lovely frog. They can be shy, but in the end, I find it beneficial to this frog's appeal. When they are out, it is a joy...

If there are specific care questions, feel free to PM me, or post here, I will be checking!

JBear

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'd like to get some phyllobates, but... No room and the only chance I get of getting another tank is a hex tank and I don't think phyllobates would use all of the space.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I'd like to get some phyllobates, but... No room and the only chance I get of getting another tank is a hex tank and I don't think phyllobates would use all of the space.
I agree, a hex, would be less appreciated by Phyllobates, than say a Thumb species. What species do you like? I will keep you in mind when I get breeding...

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
P. vittatus are considered a small dart frog, but not a thumbnail. They occupy both ground level and canopy, but much more on the ground level. Calling has been seen from an elevated perch, from an elevated breeder hut, and from the floor itself. I would offer them D. hydei as the staple. Calling itself, can be a continuous blasting, or it can be very subtle chirps. I imagine individuals conclude what the difference in calls mean by watching the frogs they have, I have not figured it out yet, personally. They like rocky retreats, and a dense canopy. I use Pothos as the dominant plant in my landscaping. If there is anything else I could add, or you have other questions, please let me know.

JBear

Reactions: ktdarts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I have a trio of adults that I obtained as froglets, have bred numerous times, and have even bred their offspring . My group is 2.1 and like other members of the genus, very bold, loud and really a pleasure to work with. A good amount of leaf litter, hides such as tree stumps, etc are beneficial as would a small place for water to accumulate. Since they hail from the Pacific side of CR they are more seasonal than lugubris or terribilis and should be given dry and wet cycles. For feeders, they will take almost anything they can fit in their mouth, includ ffs, waxworms, bbs, etc.

Good luck, they are a fantastic choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts