Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have a few questions, I have been trying to do some research in the Phyllobates Vittatus, we have a chance right now to order some threw a friend who has them on his list (so not sure who the breeder is) but they have listed Vittatus (green stripe) and a Vittatus (orange stripe), now I have found a lot out about the orange, but nothing about the green... Do you think this is a mistake? if its not a mistake what is the green strip vittatus? Does anyone have any pictures of them? I did find a frog called Phyllobates aurotaenia that had the name green stripe I wonder if they mean that one? They are just a middle man (the company he would be ordering from) and I have seen them miss spell fish before, but with the frogs I’m a little more in the dark....
thanks for the info,
Michelle

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s what I thinking may have happened, they have been labled wrong. The pictures I saw of the aurotaenia do look a lot like the vittatus, and if they are common in the hobby then I’m sure that is what it must be. I will do a better search in the aurotaenia then,
Thanks!
Michelle

·
Registered
215 Posts
Michelle,

I would second what Jbeetle said, I would be willing to bet that they are actually trivittatus, not vittatus. A lot of trivitatus in green and orange stiped forms have come into canada recently from surinam, and for some reason the wholesalers/resellers often refer to them as Vittatus rather that what they actually are, which is trivittatus. trivitattus are neat frogs, and worth getting if you have a large tank...the call is obnoxiously loud :)

if you get them and they are actually green aurataenia, then add me to your waiting list :)

take care,
Mark

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
MPepper said:
Michelle,

trivitattus are neat frogs, and worth getting if you have a large tank...the call is obnoxiously loud :)

take care,
Mark
I love frog calls...anyone have a recording of the trivitattus?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info guys!! so far all the frogs they could be are pretty neat so maybe I will just order them and see what I get LOL
thanks again
Michelle

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK so now we are 99% sure they are Epipedobates ( Phobobates ) Trivittatus.. (thanks guys!!) I have been trying to get some info on them but all I can really find is some pictures and that they are large frogs (females about 2.75” males a little smaller).... So I was just wondering if any of you know if they are good in groups, would a 3 foot tank (I think 65 gal) be ok for a group? Or would I be better off with only 2 in there? And any other info would be great too .... Sorry for all the questions but I really cant find a lot on these guys..
thanks
Michelle

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Are they the 3 striped trivs or the 2 striped morph? The 3 striped trivi's are some of the most beautiful frogs and are very rare. I haven't seen them for sale yet!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would think they are the two stripe, I dont think we are that lucky up here in Canada LOL :lol: but I haven't seen them so I cant be 100% sure :wink:
Michelle

(PS we are thinking of going the Orange stripe but aren't 100% sure yet)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts