Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Got a bit more gowing to be sure, but I'm guessing female.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am pretty new to PDFs but with my tincs, the male front toe pads are larger than the rear. The females have more arch than the males and tend to be a bit larger in overall size.

My guess is female but I have never raised this species (yet).

·
Registered
446 Posts
Leucs are very different.. I am also quite new.. and that frog is quite young but I am gonna go against the other two guys here based on my leuc experience and say male. Again just a shot in the dark until its older and starts calling or doesnt. I thought exactly like them until my frog built just like this started calling like crazy. Leucs dont match up with tinc traits in my experience.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes, toe pads are not very telling. Females are a lot bigger, plumper and have a more arched back than the males. Hard to tell until they are sexually mature though. I have a 'pair' ~ the same size as yours and I'm still not certain. My adults I can tell whos who from accross the room - real obvious.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
You can start playing the D. leucomelas call back to your frog now. Males will start calling anywhere from 8-12 months. based on the "bony" back to this frog, I would think it was a male.

Good luck, Richard.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! I've been playing a 3.5 minute Leuc call that I snagged from iTunes. I play it for 5-10 minutes everyday when I mist or feed... I'm hoping to get some calling soon :)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
You are just going to be guessing until you actually see it call or produce eggs. I have 2 leucs, and for a year I swore it was a pair. I only ever saw the same one call, and the other was a little fatter. I put them in my new tank, and within 5 minutes I see both calling at the same time. Leucs are one of those frogs that are extremely difficult to sex, even with a group to compare one an other.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts