Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the finishing touches on my 65 gallon vivarium and everything is planted except for the background. I used bentonite clay have some bromeliads sticking into it as well as some pothos that seem to be doing well. Because of the gray color, I want to cover it with a vine. I know creeping fig and oak ivy are good options but I was looking for something that is hardy (it's going to house seven terribilis), grows relatively quickly, but something that looks a little bit more exotic than plain creeping fig. Also, with any suggestions, could you advise if it would be better to plant in the soil at the base of the wall or to stick the cuttings into the clay at the top and let it grow down the wall. Thanks in advance for any help.

– Diego

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Oak leaf fig is pretty nice, it could grow on a wet background I think. Microgramma ferns are pretty dense growers too and might work. Muehlenbeckia complexa is a very dainty vine, doesn't grow all that fast but is nice and whispy looking, not a dense grower on it's own but you could tend to it and get it to. With your bromeliads, watch out for the bases rotting if they clay stays constantly wet. They usually start to smell bad, so take a whif once in a while if you can!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts