Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening. I have a very productive pair of Mossies. Always in amplexus and the female has been laying eggs for about 4 months now. I've had no luck getting any of the eggs to hatch/turn into tadpoles. I've tried leaving the eggs in the enclosure (always stuck to something above water, but very humid inside tank), placed in a separate tank with acidic, tannin rich water, and a method I saw online where you put them in a sort of petri dish and change out the very small amount of water (once again acidic) every day. Nothing, they always get fungus. Very frustrating. And I know at some point I should get another female so she doesn't get "worn" out. Thanks in advance for any pertinent information or advice.

·
Registered
89 Posts
From what I know, tannin rich water is the key.

Are you sure, that the eggs are fertile and that your male frog knew what he did? Infertile eggs get fungus very quickly because they lack the defences.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never thought that one or both might be sterile/"I'll equipped"/awkward thus infertile eggs. Thanks for the tip. I want to add another female but I need to buy/make a larger enclosure. Have them in what is roughly a 35 gallon enclosure. I'm looking at a 54 gallon corner bow or a 56 gallon column tank.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I know only this paper:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...heloderma_-_einige_Anmerkungen_aus_der_Praxis

I can't find it in English - sry.

But the authors also suggest only using old/tank water. Low temperatures for more female offspring and so on ...nothing really about the eggs - sry.

---

To the "infertile hypothesis": I think you should really do a close look on all the eggs. If there aren't any more developed eggs it really could be infertility.
Good luck!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I usually dust my crickets with a calcium powder twice a week and then for the middle of the week feeding I use a vitamin/mineral powder. Zoo Med brand for both. Should I go with a different brand ? And I feed my crickets a mix of spirulina/earthworm flake mixed with Hikari Cichlid Excel herbivore pellets moistened. Replace that every 2 days. I try to have carrots for moisture when I can, but more often than not I use the cricket water gel stuff. My frogs will take the occasional earthworm if presented the right way. They can be clumsy eaters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts