Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have finished uploading our HD video tutorial of 'How to Build A Vertical Dart Frog Vivarium." We tried to do a comprehensive step by step guide to walk you through the full process we use at AAAfrogs. We hope this will be a great reference that the experienced hobbyists can supply to beginners in the hobby.

You can watch the videos in full 1080 on our youtube channel.

Video 1: Prep work and false bottoms

Video 2: Fake rock waterfall

Video 3: Great Stuff background method, clay background

Video 4: Clay background continued, Vert kit, Substrate and Planting

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Wow, this is great. I wish I had something like this when I was starting out. The only thing I would add would be to add about an 1 inch of water to the false bottom before adding soil, but that would get there eventually anyways. Nice job with this!

·
Registered
68 Posts
We have been trying to create a series of videos and are making several more covering as many common areas within the hobby as we can at AAAfrogs.com .

Aaron has a wealth of knowledge so getting him in front of the camera for the build was great fun and im sure it wont be the last build vid we create! thanks for the feedback and glad you enjoyed! :)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, this is great. I wish I had something like this when I was starting out. The only thing I would add would be to add about an 1 inch of water to the false bottom before adding soil, but that would get there eventually anyways. Nice job with this!
Good point, lol I though I had mentioned the water, but obviously forgot... Oh well, there's water in there when the waterfall is going lol...

thanks for the comments, hope some people getting into the hobby can use these for help, there is a ton of methods used in viv construction, these threads show how diverse they can get... but if the vids help w/ some of the basics that would be nice.

·
Registered
116 Posts
AaronAcker,
Great tutorials! Being a noob and having not set up my first vivarium this was great to see the whole process and not just pictures. One thing I was looking forward to was the application of the clay background and what the mix looked like after it set over night. That seems to be the new in thing so I was curious as to the process. I would assume the process was the same with the silicone as with the great stuff application, but would still have loved to see it in action. Keep the vids coming!

Thanks again!

Reactions: Gamble

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a question. Does the water from the waterfall go into a hole into the false bottom or just into the substrate?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AaronAcker,
Great tutorials! Being a noob and having not set up my first vivarium this was great to see the whole process and not just pictures. One thing I was looking forward to was the application of the clay background and what the mix looked like after it set over night. That seems to be the new in thing so I was curious as to the process. I would assume the process was the same with the silicone as with the great stuff application, but would still have loved to see it in action. Keep the vids coming!

Thanks again!
We are thinking of doing a video just on clay backgrounds, as there is a ton of info, and as you say, it is the "in" thing right now.

I have a question. Does the water from the waterfall go into a hole into the false bottom or just into the substrate?
In this particular viv we have the water from the waterfall going into a pot that drains right into the false bottom. In other tanks I've done both the pot trick and have a recessed area for a pond. Either way not a good idea for the water feature to go into the substrate. Even though our tropical soil is design for high drainage, any substrate would become bogged w/ water if you had the water feature go through it.

Glad you like the video..

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Making these from scratch is such a pain in the ass, I know where I'm getting my next vert kit from....

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Ryan,,, After making our kits available guess what i did all day today lol.
I give credit when credit is due. Made verts? Sent out a grip of kits? Hopefully you didn't have a bunch of glass cuts all over your hands.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Great job Aaron! I enjoyed watching your process. It actually gave me an idea to implement when vending at shows.

I am all about education and taking the time at a saturday/sunday herp expo to show and describe construction of a vertical could really help enable more folks to get into PDFs because the cost of initial setup drops when you don't have to invest in an exoterra or zoo-med. When someone realizes how easy it can be to get a 10 or 20 gal cheap and inexpensive resources from Lowes or a Home Depot like store all of a sudden .... "the PDF addiction begins for more unsuspecting herp lovers! ;)

Given your location, I guess putting together oodles of vert conversion kits is one way to kill time while awaiting a spring thaw! :rolleyes: I really like your design utilizing black glass to hide the groundwater are in front. Hope to hell no thumbnail wiggles and squirms through though. It'd be a bugger of a hunt to try and find it under the egg crate.

Thanks for sharing!

Doug

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah its a bit cold here for sure lol. As for frog safety, doesn't matter what tank you use, you still have to design the viv for the well being of the frog, and we always make it impossible for a frog to get under a false bottom. Guess the best advice I can give on that would be, if you design the false bottom so that no substrate can fall into it, then no frog can get into it either.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We are thinking of doing a video just on clay backgrounds, as there is a ton of info, and as you say, it is the "in" thing right now.
Sounds great. I can hold off a little bit longer if this is something that will be coming out soon. Is there an estimate on when these will be completed?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We're hoping to get a clay video up next week. I can send ya a PM when its up, or if you subscribe to our facebook/youtube you'll be updated when we put up new videos.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We're hoping to get a clay video up next week. I can send ya a PM when its up, or if you subscribe to our facebook/youtube you'll be updated when we put up new videos.
A PM would be great. This little frog community is turning out to be a great place!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep a few decent vids out there. Also some really good info here on clay backgrounds. We'll still try and get a HD vid out this coming week on it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There are other clay background videos out there...Just sayin' ;)

And good stuff Aaron!

Hey GRIMM,
Thanks GRIMM...I think I have seen quiet a few of them so far. I like that AaronAcker was more of a tutorial. I think you yourself have about 16 videos on YouTube and I have watched them all :). They were filled with tips and hints I plan on using when I start construction on my tank :).

I have also pretty much read all the clay background threads to the point where several are bookmarked for inspiration :).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts