Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have glass compiled to start a new vivarium! Eventually I'll be building a much larger enclosure, but I figured I should start smaller so I'm building an 18x18x24 first.

Early in the day

As of tonight

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nahhh, this is just standard plate glass, 1/8 inch. You can't really tell a difference with low iron glass at low thicknesses.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
1/8th would make me a little nervious to be handling once it was built but that is me.....Looks great though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi Vic, looking forward to seeing this one through. One thing though, for many people who would like to do something like this, could you make up a shop or cutting list of parts so that we could see the sizes of the materials you are using? Many of my woodworking groups do this for others in the group who would like to do the same project in the future. A simple list of parts could go like this
A- top 18"x18" double strength
B- bottom 18"x18" double strength
C- Left side Blah x Blah
D-Right side Blah x Blah
Etc.
Hardware used: Blah, Blah, blah
Also a rough idea as to the costs would be helpful, knowing where to best buy glass to get what you want at the right price will of course require shopping.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Vic, I'm just wondering, are you cutting your own glass? I do that for my lids and then just use a fine foam sanding block under some running water to make the edges a bit polished so as to not cut myself and bleed all over the place. Buying double strength glass can be expensive and to have the edges polished really drives the price up. If you check out this site you can see the thicknesses and weights of glass. Just to give you an idea of how much your vivarium might weight using different thicknesses of glass. http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14044/css/14044_152.htm

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yeah I'm cutting and polishing my own glass, I'm getting it from a local glass shop. It is definitely thin, but I doubt it will be a problem at this size. Plus this is really just for practice, I just need to test out all my plans on a small scale first.

The larger tank I'll be building will be 1/4" glass.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Test fitting some wood - I'm running out of stuff to do while I'm waiting on my hole saw bit to come in to finish the top

·
Registered
47 Posts
I really like that magnet door thing! Everything looks great so far, btw cute dog. :D

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Nice? Why are you going to have half that nice piece of wood under the false bottom where you can't see it?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Great job on a demo...cant wait to see your work on a larger scale....I thought I was the only one that built vivs on my eating table..lol

1 - 20 of 44 Posts