Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been working on this for months and months, and I feel like it's finally at the point where it's worth sharing some pictures :)

The specs are:
Enclosure: 36x24x48, hand built by me. The water area is roughly 36x24x10 with a 10 gallon sump. It holds about 50 gallons of water and will be a low-tech planted community freshwater aquarium.

Lighting: 4x39 24" Tek HOT5 unit with high quality reflectors. I used this on my previous 18 gallon SPS reef with great success so it should be sufficient light for bromeliads. If not, I have a friend who builds custom LED units that I know could handle the depth of this tank.

Misting: Mist King

Air Movement: Internal air circulation is achieved by 4 PC fans controlled by an NZXT Sentry LX built into the front of the stand.

Plants: The bromeliads are from Chris Teem (Rainforest Herps) and are spectacularly large. The largest is about 15" in diameter (Neo. Strawberry Blush). The begonia is also from Chris. The rest are an assortment of ferns and other random plants from Black Jungle and Home Depot. I'm only about 3/4 done with planting.

Frogs: No frogs as of yet, but they will be a large group of some type of Ranitomeya. My first plan was for vanzolinii, but their shyness has somewhat put me off for choosing them for such a large tank.

Anyway, on to pictures :)

More pictures (including the build process) can be found here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonwithers/sets/72157626535672598/

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bromeliads

Neo. Strawberry Blush

Neo. Walking Tall

Neo. Gold Fever

Neo. Cocktail

Neo. Kawika x Hawaiin Rainforest

Neo. Pauciflora x Kaustkyi

Neo. Shamrock

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for finally posting this on this forum...If you come to the show in Raleigh I got some really cool water plants you should put in there...plus ill give you some free fish I need to get rid off....lol
Sounds good :) I was going to keep it a secret till I had finished planting it and let it grown in, but I was too excited, and plus I'll probably never really finish planting it.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some old Power Filter I have. It's got a bit of biological, mechanical and chemical filtration built in.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks good, hopefully mine will come out just as well

0.0.2 D. Costa Rican Auratus
0.0.2 D. Azureus
0.0.2 A. Calidryas
0.1.1 R. Auriculatus

·
Registered
591 Posts
Wow, that is one awesome tank. Nice job! Do you have any construction pics? I'd love to see how things went together.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Very nicely done. I like that you used aquasoil. Did you get it from ADG? That tank will look really good when it all starts to grow in.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Most of the broms are mounted just by shoving them in holes in the wood or behind it (I made sure to leave some area open between the wood and background). The others are pinned in place by a toothpick.

I got the aquasoil from Aqua Forest. I gave up on ADG a while back.

I had a chance to rearrange some stuff and I think I'm happy with where everything is sitting now. It looks more natural IMO.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Better pic of the Neo. Pauciflora x Kautskyi

The Neo. Strawberry Blush again. It's really spreading out now. I really need to do a size reference in these shots. It's unbelievably big

ET Fern

1 - 20 of 350 Posts